No spark. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
ray

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default No spark.

This is actually a continuation of an old thread (fuel pump problems.)

Originally I thought the starting problem I had on my 2000 OB was a fuel supply problem since the car was turning over and when I checked fuel line there was no supply. But after checking fuel pump and relay, and finally (should have checked this first) checking for a spark on a plug (there was none) this weekend I suspect that the problem is an ignition problem which caused the ECU to shutdown the fuel pump (hence the clicking on the relay?).

Anyway, I checked the ignition coil resistance between terminals,it seems OK, and confirmed that there is power getting to it.

I friend suggested that a faulty crank position sensor (CPS) could cause the problem, I removed it, and made sure the wiring was OK but can this unit be tested or do I just order another? More to the point, is it likely this is the problem?

I also unplugged the ECU and plugged it back in but all the connections seemed fine.

Anything other suggestions, this repair is getting to be a pain. Is the Cam position sensor a possibility cause for no firing? Where is this located?

Thanks.
ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Have you checked to see if the timing belt has snapped or possibly jumped a few teeth?

If you want to check the crank / cam position sensors, generally you might use an analog voltmeter to watch for the heartbeat while cranking.

porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
ray

Is there a quick way to check timing belt (i.e. where can I view it from, or do I have to start taking of belts and covers)? I had it changed last fall but anything is possible.

I have ordered crank and cam sensors and intend to check the resistance across the existing ones tonight to see if they're spec. I assume that if either of this are bad, there won't be a spark.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
ray

Tested crank sensor, it seems OK.

I tried to get cam sensor out but there must be a trick. I removed the bolts for the sensor and the sensor support and the manual says to remove the support and sensor as a unit but it won't come out. I assume it must slide sideways toward the battery and I have it loose (i.e. I can move it a few mm back/forth but there seems to be something extending into the timing belt cover and some foam around that. The manual doesn't talk about removing the timing belt cover or anything else, just " remove support and sensor as unit then extract senor from support".

Has anyone done this before, what am I missing?

p.s. I can see half of the sensor and it looks rough (i.e. rusted)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hi. You can check the timing belt pretty easily by just removing the coolant overflow tank, then removing the LH (driver) side outer timing belt cover. It's like 3 bolts (10mm head).

The cam position sensor slides out of the cam cap. It needs to slide toward the firewall to get it out. Mine was kind of rusted in too and wouldn't come out until I put some penetrating oil on it.

pic from '96 legacy but I'm pretty sure my '00 outback was very similar. There is only one bolt that holds the cam angle sensor in; the other bolts are for the cam cap.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 99 Impreza OB SW 2.2L mnl 5spd, 09 C63AMG
Default Cam Sensor

Orange widget in the pic. Bolt head facing aft is what holds the sensor in the bracket. The sensor then slides aft to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
No spark.-valve-covers-004.jpg  
lomita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
ray

I've removed the sensor bolt and support bolt, and the support and sensor are loose but there doesn't seem to be enough room to pull the sensor/support toward the firewall so it clears the timing belt cover since the back of the sensor hits the engine wall. Obviously, it must come out, I guess I'll try again tonight. I didn't want to force it since I wasn't sure if the timing belt cover had to come off.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 99 Impreza OB SW 2.2L mnl 5spd, 09 C63AMG
Default Bracket

If the bracket is loose, it should slide out towards the fender.
lomita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
ray

Yeah you'd think, but Mr. Murphy is sitting on my shoulder helping me get this job done. I noticed some foam around the sensor hole in the timing belt cover, it makes it difficult to see if the sensor is clear of the cover. But I long as I know that the sensor should come out w/o removing the cover I'll continue accordingly.

Thanks/
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
ray

Well, I did get the Cam PS out as you suggested, just so much crud in the way. Bad news is that when I tested the existing sensor as per manual(i.e. resistance between terminals), itseems to be fine, so I didn't replace it. I also, tested resistance in the harness back to the ECM (4 ohms), it also seems OK.

One item that I didn't didn't get a good reading on was the resistance through the crank PS harness back through to the ECM, I didn't get any reading , this may be a problem since the cam harness did give me a reading. I'll recheck this tonight. The wiring diagram shows a connector in the harness before it gets to the ECM, does anyone know where this is located (i.e. on fire wall maybe?) so I can check it and the ground for this harness.

Any other suggestions for trouble shooting this no spark problem? I'm runnig out of ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: