AT OIL TEMP flashing - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nipper

no, its not resistance. Whenever a solenoid actuates, it has a very specific electical profile. You need a scope to see it, and need to know what your looking for.

For now dont worry about it, and just be aware of the light.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Impreza OBS

Well, thanks for all your help nipper. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

Well, it did it. Got in the car this morning and the light flashed 16 times.

I got under the dash, and grounded the little black plug in the #5 slot using one of the leads that is taped up to the harness under there. I turned on the car and could not get the light to flash the code.

The car has been shifting kind of hard when I would go from D to R or D to P. I plan on getting the tranny fluid changed (hopefully today) and see if it helps.

I am still uncertain why I can't get the light to blink the code.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

now....remember....I'm a girl....so I don't know a whole lot about cars....but my '97 Outback did this....everytime you started the car, the A/T light blinked 16 times....according to my husband....and what I remember....a code will NOT come up for this.....my husband has scanners....and we even had a friend check it with his scanner to make sure our scanner wasn't missing something....anyway....no code will come up....it is just a signal for you to go thru your checkdowns and see what needs attention....I guess the transmission has it's own computer?.... my husband has the service manuals on CD....and it said there would not be a 'code' to pull from the cars computer...so maybe stop looking for a code.....before you drive yourself nuts....I seriously think I was getting water in some electrical connection somewhere....the manual said that if there is no problem, the light would cancel itself out after something like 40 starts...that's starting up and shutting off your car 40 times!!....it took me about a week to start up my car 40 different times......and sure enough the light cancelled itself....this happened twice to me....nothing ever surfaced....that's why I think it had to do with water getting into something.....it would happen after running it thru the carwash....it never happened when I hand washed my car....maybe go around and check all electrical connections....maybe look for split rubber or something....anything....someone even mentioned it may not exactly be the transmission.....the car just needs some light to use to signal you of a problem somewhere.....just my 2 cents
nurse-gadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

sigh

for the 100th time, the OBDII scanner will not read the TCU. The TCU has its own diagnostic plug. There are some ECU codes that will effect the tranny (like a map sensor). You have to pull the codes as have been described. If you can't pull the codes yourself, then its time to go to a dealer and read them.

There is no universal code reader for transmissions, as each mfg has thier own code reader.

nipper
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Nurse-gadget -- I will go and check for any loose connections. I haven't been around water in the past week, so I don't think that could have caused it. I wish it was that easy

Nipper - Unless I'm completely and utterly retarded, I couldn't really find where it (any of the pdfs) outlined how to pull the codes step by stp. I pulled out one of the leads that was taped to the harness and stuck it in the #5 slot. Whether or not there was something else to it, I couldn't figure.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

Alright, I got a code 24 which is a the duty C solenoid.

In addition, I detected some torque bind from the rear end.

Also, when going in reverse, there is a not nice sound coming from the rear end. Sounds like some metal pieces rubbing on each other. Almost like the sound of really worn brakes pads on rotors.

I will do some research on teh duty c solenoid. If someone wants to, they can post some info about that solenoid and about the torque bind issue. I'll continue looking.

thanks.

edit: upon further review, it looks like the cure for the duty c and torque bind issues are pretty substantial. On Nabisco, I found a post that said a cure for the torque bind is to do a dozen figure 8's in a gravel parking lot with the wheel turned all the way. Somehow, this was supposed to relieve the binding issue.

Assuming I don't want to drop the money into the car to fix this torque binding issue and duty c solenoid issue, what is the most likely consequence?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

that's great bigalpha!!....you finally found the problem!!....grrr....now it'll all need fixed!!
nurse-gadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Not fixing TB:

Chewing up tires
Damaged tranny mount
Damaged universal joints
Damaged Carrier Bearing

Hard to control (Hard sterring, inablility to turn wheel fully)
Wierd and hazardous handling on slick surfaces.

You have a few choices. You can get a used tranny, or let a dealer repair it for about 800.00. Once its fixed, its fixed, assuming you always get matched tires and dont run on a flat.

I had mine repaired 2 years ago, it was getting inpossible to even make a right turn at an intersection.

nipper
Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #30 (permalink)

One thing I wasn't clear on: is TB related to the Duty C solenoid?

Also, does doing figure 8's actually alleviate the TB problem?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: