Shop/Repair Manual - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 2.5i Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Shop/Repair Manual

OK guys, help me out here. Other than the online manuals that I could look at, are there any really good publications available that apply to working on my 08 2.5i OBW w/5spd MT?

Aside from my current Subaru, I have owned an Accura, an Audi, two BMWs, a Datsun, a Fiat, two Hondas, two Hyundais, two Opels, a Mitsubishi, two VW's, and seven other American make vehicles over the years.

This Subaru seems to be the only one for which I can't get a decent updated service/repair manual . What gives? I like to do ALL my own car service and repairs and I like to do it without guessing. Does anyone know a source for a good manual? The dealer wants to sell me the various sections of the "official" shop manual at some unbelieveable price per section. Is that all there is available?
tirolerpeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L 5spd

Yes, as you have found out, the official service manual is very expensive.

The better way I've heard of is to subscripe to an online service, and print out what you need as you go.

techinfo.subaru.com

http://alldata.com/

http://alldatadiy.com/

http://endwrench.com/main.php?smPID=HTML::home.html

Of course, some people *might* be able to find .pdf files of the offical service manual. Mind you those are not legal copies.

--Alien Out

'99 LOB MT 2.5L ~136k miles?
'85 Kawasaki 700LTD shaftie
'79 Suzuki GS850G also shaftie
'07 Ducati ST3
'99 Honda VFR - 122k miles, Has one deer to its record. Also took out wrist, but deer came out worse.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Shop/Repair Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by tirolerpeter
OK guys, help me out here. Other than the online manuals that I could look at, . . .
We all have our individual preferences. I too had a preference for “hard copy” manuals. But I’ve come to appreciate the Subaru approach.

Its printed manuals are indeed expensive. But its on-line documentation is good, relatively inexpensive, and continuously updated. And you can download and save it.

The on-line manuals and other information are available in pdf format on the www.techinfo.subaru.com site. Go to the upper right “reference” tab, and select from the drop down year and model lists. You can peruse all the available information (e.g. the titles of each sub-sub-section file) at no cost, but not the actual documents (except for those in the “Free documentation” list, which applies to accessories and service manual corrections/updates).

A full service manual, depending on the year and engine/transmission combination, would be made up of about 700 individual pdf files. The minimum 72 hour subscription, for about $40, is enough time to download all of them (even with the 50/hour limit), as well as a lot of other useful information, such as TSBs, technician training modules, and “TechTips” -- the monthly Subaru publication for Subaru mechanics.

With it all stored on a hard drive, memory stick or whatever, it is portable and can be accessed readily. Individual pages can be printed, when needed. And, by checking the website either before doing major work, or periodically, you can check for corrections/updates (at no cost) and your information will always be as up to date as you need it to be at the cost of a minimum subscription. And, if the printed paper copy gets messed up, as service manuals tend to do, there’s no problem, just print out another page.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Online Manual Size?

What size memory stick or flash drive would I need to download the Pdf files you have described?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I don't know what the 08 files will include, but I would imagine the 07 and 08 would be quite similar.

I downloaded all the service/repair sections relevant to my 07. This did not include the H6 and Turbo engine sections, or the Manual Transmission sections. I also have some duplicate files, mainly where there have been corrections but I kept the originals, and a few files for other models that I thought might be interesting to have. 824 files, 65 mB. (Most are in the 50 - 100 kB range, but there’s some over 1 mB.) Each file had to be titled and sorted to correspond to the lists (volume number, section, sub-section etc) on the website, and I use printouts of the web-site list as a top “table of contents”. In use, finding a particular topic is helped by using the “Find” function of Adobe Reader, which I set to scan the whole manual and display all the relevant pages.

In addition, I have:

06 and 07 volumes of “Mechanisms and Functions” which are the sections explaining the operation (but not the repair) of major components. (The service manual sections tend to be just that -- minimum explanation of how things work.)

TechTips and Endwrench issues of interest (Endwrench is not from the Subaru web-site -- it can be accessed at www.endwrench.com.)

Training manuals. (These are supposed to be used with associated videos and courses, but quite a few are very useful on their own. They don’t cover everything, but given that they are available at the same time, for no additional cost, why not?)

TSBs and service manual corrections.

Altogether it currently totals about 350 mB. I keep it on my hard disk, and on a 1 gB stick.

If you can spare the time and effort, the $ cost is well worth it IMHO.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default File Size for manual

Sounds good.

When I find it I will likely load it onto a 2gig flash drive that I have sitting around. Then I can just insert it into my laptop's USB port and access the manual that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: