fuel pump runs, no start. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2002 subaru outback ll Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default fuel pump runs, no start.

I have a 2002 OB. Well, my sister does. I am trying to diagnose a no-start problem. I can hear the fuel pump run. But the engine is getting no fuel. I used starting fluid to prove it. It fired right up. I did not check the filter. I work on cars and have never seen a filter completely block fuel flow. I am wondering if there is something specific I should be investigating. It has the V6 engine.

Thanks
speedfreak_josh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

Welcome. Subaru has never made a V6 in it's entire lifetime.

However...

Did the fuel pump start and then build pressure and then quit? You can tell the best by turning the key to each position slowly and listening.

Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Pardon my thoughtlessness. I meant Flat 6, horizontally-opposed-6, H6.

Yes the pump cycles. I am a very inclined car guy. I can here the pump come on. And it runs when cranking. It ran when I sprayed starting fluid in the intake. No leaking fuel.
I've just never heard of a fuel filter completely stopping flow. The car ran fine until they very last time they tried to start it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

So basically, the engine sounds as to fire while cranking the starter? But will not fire on it's own?

TPS?

Ignition coil?

Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback Wagon

break the fuel line going to the fuel rail and see if you have pressurized fuel going to the injectors. You can even just crack the line but be carefull it will make a mess. If no flow then you have a clog somewhere. Work your way back. If you have fuel then your injectors need troubleshooting.......Look in the repair manual, sorry I dont have one.
johneracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback Wagon

Is it that it ignites every once in a while, sort of sputters, or it simply just does not ignite at all? Just cranks at a same rate. No fuel smell from the exhaust??
johneracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recruit

If it runs with starting fluid why would I check the TPS or coils?

I have a suspicion that there is a clog. I'll probably check the line at the filter 1st though since theoretically, it would create a restriction before anything else.
I wasn't sure if Subs had an issue with the fuel system that could hasten my diagnosis.

Thanks for the input,
Josh
Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Recruit

Quote:
Originally posted by johneracer
Is it that it ignites every once in a while, sort of sputters, or it simply just does not ignite at all? Just cranks at a same rate. No fuel smell from the exhaust??
Yes, it just cranks. No smell. It definitely isn't getting fuel. It started right up and ran smoothly with starting fluid. What threw me off is that I can hear the pump.
She's had the car 2 yrs and hasn't changed the fuel filter. Not sure when it was done last so it's a possibility.
I sure hope so. That'd be an easy fix.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Recruit

I think I agree with the ignition coil. It could be your ignition switch because I know on my truck, there is a bulletin out for a wire in the steering column that can become loose.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

speedfreak_josh reported that the engine runs smoothly when using the starter spray. shouldn't this pretty well eliminate the ignition and engine mechanicals as the cause?

The fuel pump cycling seems correct, although this does not ensure that the fuel line pressure or delivery rate is correct. Line pressure is mechanically, not electrically, regulated.

A blockage in the fuel line, including the filter, is possible, but I would think less likely given the symptoms. A clogged fuel filter would not be 100% unless it is really bad (in which case the last time the car was used it should have been showing signs) so there would be some fuel delivery -- at the least at the outset, so the engine might start and then sputter to a stall.

Clogged injectors could also be a problem, but I doubt all six would be affected equally all at the same time. Consequently, I would expect very rough idle or at least some sign of ignition, even if the engine does not continue to run. But it sounds as if there isn't even any sputtering attempts at ignition.

Assuming that fuel is getting to the fuel rail at the right pressure, there is still the question of whether the injectors are functioning. They are electronically controlled by the ECM. It might be possible to measure the voltage to the injectors while cranking the engine to see if they are getting the voltages necessary for the release of fuel into the intake manifold.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: