Key Interlock Release Problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Key Interlock Release Problem

The key for my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback is stuck in the ignition switch. The only way to remove the key from the ignition is to do a "manual override" of the key interlock release by inserting a long screwdriver in the hole under the steering column to pop the manual overide switch, which then releases the key. I must perform this manual override manuever each time I park the car (looks like I'm a thief), or leave the keys in the ignition switch (risk of car being stolen).

This problem started with a blown alternator that I later replaced and a battery I later recharged, and a car alarm system that went off while replacing the alternator. I have since reset the alarm system using the "turn the key 3 times/10 times quickly" method discussed in the owner's manual. The alarm system is now working. Also related - I replaced a blown fuse - which occured because of the alarm went off after the battery was reconnected, and that apparently which locked the automatic transmission in "park". I then problem solved that replacing that blown brake fuse would allow the transmission to come out of "park".

The issue now is having to do a manual override of the key interlock release every time to remove the keys from the ignition. The owner's manual says to do the manual override and then take the car to a certified Subaru mechanic to have the key interlock system "repaired".

I'd like to repair the key interlock system myself instead of paying a mechanic $75 bucks an hour to problem solve this issue.

Any ideas on how to reset the key interlock release so it behaves normally?
robmanley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nipper

This isnt a biggy. The switch in the shifter isnt responding to the park position.
What you are doing with the over ride is forcing the release switch to complete or interupt the circuit that holds the key in.

Look at that switch and see how it interfaces with the shifter. It may just need lubricating or an adjustment.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: