Can't unlock vehicle - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Can't unlock vehicle

This is a somewhat embarassing problem.

I can't unlock my 2001 outback LL bean and I'm trying to figure out a few things so I can go forward.

My ignition key interlock switch must be sticky or something because sometimes when I turn the car off, I can't get the key out. If I'm patient, I'll get a clicking sound after 5 or 10 minutes. It will click once every second or so then the clicking starts speeding up to a really fast rate and then stops. Once it stops, I can get the key out.

So, one morning I was in a rush when this happened, so I decided to pull off the door lock remote and leave the key in the ignition (bad idea, I know). When I came back later in the day, I couldn't unlock the vehicle. Unfortunately I don't have a spare key. Stupid of me to not have one made.

I thought maybe the door wasn't unlocking because the remote battery was dead, so I replaced it, but wasn't able to, till a couple days later. That didn't work. The remote on the inside says it's by alpine.

Here are my questions:

Does the remote need to be re-programmed when the battery is replaced?

Could the remote not working be related to the key being in the ignition?

Is there a chance the battery died in 10 hours as a result of the key problem (ie, the key being in the ignition or the switch sticking or something)?

When I get AAA to unlock my vehicle, the alarm will go off. Can I disarm it by turning the car on?

Thanks for the help
shmerham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1997 Outback Wagon LTD 2.5L, Auto
Default Re: Can't unlock vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by shmerham
This is a somewhat embarassing problem.

All of your questions here can be answered by any Subaru repair shop or dealership if you call them. These are common problems.

Does the remote need to be re-programmed when the battery is replaced?

No. I've never had to when only replacing a battery. However, I have had to replace the remotes at least once in the past 11 years. I have 4 of them now. One never works as I think it didn't get programmed when I got it. I had lost one when I only had 2 and thought it best to get new ones and a new code just to be safe. The lost keys came back to me in the mail 5 mths later. They had fallen into a sewer when I was running back to my car in a hail storm. I was out of town when this happened, on a Friday night no less. Fortunately, I was staying with friends so I wasn't desperate for my car. I had to wait a couple of days until the local Subie dealer could could get the key code for my car and program a new remote, for security sake. Lucky for me the local police waived my parking tickets when they heard my dilemma.

Could the remote not working be related to the key being in the ignition?

Not likely. I just checked that on my car and it works fine. Sounds like an ignition, electrical, and/or remote issue. I had this happen in my '97 when it was only a couple of months old. Subaru paid to have it towed to their shop and repaired the wiring and the ignition switch.

Is there a chance the battery died in 10 hours as a result of the key problem (ie, the key being in the ignition or the switch sticking or something)?

The car battery? Not likely as you said you turned off the engine.

When I get AAA to unlock my vehicle, the alarm will go off. Can I disarm it by turning the car on?

No. The alarm doesn't go off that way. The alarm is very loud, but don't panic. Before you open the car, call a Subie dealer to have them explain this to you. I'm not sure how it works on your year, but on mine, there is an override button under the dash near the driver's door. The tow truck operator may also know where it's located, but it's best to know where to look yourself. Having a flashlight handy will help too.

Thanks for the help
ZipiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

www.cars101.com has the procedure for what to do when the battery in the car is replaced.

Replacing the battery in the key fob does not require reprogramming.

Yes one of the switches (in the shifter assembly) needs to be adjusted/cleaned or replaced.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: