Overheating problems in 98 Legacy... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: !998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, 2.5L Engine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Overheating problems in 98 Legacy...

I have a 1998 Legacy GT Limited with a 2.5 liter engine and auto transmition. I replaced the coolant and installed a Stant 170 degree thermostat. It started overheating about once every two weeks with daily driving. I noticed it will fill up the overflow tank which causes the engine to overheat. I installed a new radiator cap but it didn't help the problem. I check the coolant level in the overflow tank and top off the radiator before each time I drive since it started overheating. I also check the oil to make sure coolant is not entering the oil system. Any ideas???
Sstantial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Submod

Car: 2000 BMW R1150gs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

When was the last time you had the coolant flushed, see: Coolant Flush?

If it's been a while since your last flush you might consider it. Particles can block coolant flow and cause you to over heat.
Subhuman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: !998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, 2.5L Engine

Hi Everyone and thanks for the reply! I have found a common problem with this particular engine -- the "Phase 1" 2.5 liter DOHC in particular and that problem is an INTERNAL HEAD GASKET LEAK! Not to be confused with an external leak or failure since that type would put coolant in your oil and steam out of your exhaust. The link that I found this problem is http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html also you can find more info at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze730qe/H...placement.html which is the site I found my initial info from. It has many links as well as detailed info from a guy who changed his head gaskets himself with little mechanical experience. The description he gave fit my problem perfectly... Fills up the overflow tank and bubbles air into it after a long trip... that is exhaust blowing into the cooling system and pressurizing it until it overflows into the tank causing the coolant level in the system to get so low that the heater loses coolant and then overheats from lack of coolant! He says its about an $800 minimum job to do it right and as much as $2500 in a repair shop, but I will write back with what I find out in my case.
Sstantial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1998 Legacy Outback

Well, now I know whats wrong with mine....Oh no....
Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen

Jolly did you say in your first thread that you just purchased this car recently?

I know for a fact that NY has pretty strict "Lemon Laws," though I don't know any of the details. I'd assume if you bought it from a dealer of some sort then you'd have a case, but if you bought it from a private seller you might have trouble prosecuting...
It's definitely something to look into. I remember hearing "6 months" in a conversation once...
Definitely check into it.

Perhaps our friendly resident legal man cptoversteer can chip in with some advice, though he is in TX, and last time I checked they don't have any laws down there, especially for large oil and energy companines...
Old 01-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Yes, Its a long sorted tale, this is Subaru #3 from the same Used car dealer, all with the same problem. This one is the best of the bunch. I can prosecute for my money back, and I will get it..In 6 months...or 18. Sadly this will leave me car-less, and moneyless and I cant afford the wait. I can tell you this is the LAST time I ever buy a car from a used car dealer. Im resigned to fixing this car and either selling it and getting a Impreza from a Subaru dealer, or fixing it and driving it till I run it into the dirt. Its sad really, I really like the car, but Im very turned off to The 2.5 at this point. An nice head gasket problem free 2.2...yeah thats the ticket...
Old 01-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly
or fixing it and driving it till I run it into the dirt.
That won't work, they love the dirt.

"Don't throw me in that briar patch!"
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Recruit

LOL yes, I have noticed this. The more I drive the car, the more I love it. So drive til the end it is!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

I like a nice, chewy, gravel road in the country...
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Recruit

Sounds good....I was thinking snow mobile trail myself. But that may require skid plates.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: