Out with 2.5l in with 2.2l - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

Car: 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2L AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Out with 2.5l in with 2.2l

Alright I've been searching and searching and now have more questions than answers, PLEASE HELP!!

I have a 96 Legacy Outback, ya bad year, and guess what my head gaskets blown.
Now instead of wasting my weekend tearing apart the 2.5l having heads sent out and hoping i put it back together right I decided after reading some posts that I want to put a 2.2l in it.

From what I have read I can use a '95 2.2l since the exhaust poirts are the same and everything else should work fine. again this is what i read.

Theres a salvage yard near my work that has 3 '95 2.2ls on their shelves for $300 each. They probably wont come with alternators, starters or some other things.
So my questions are will exhast, aletrnator, starter, ecu power steering automatic tranny and convertor etc. fit from old 2.5l or will I need more than a motor, oil and coolant, some belts plugs and wires.

Also if this as is easy as i hope it is i will have a good 2.5l DOHC with some assecories missing left over for sale. It has 135k miles, a leaky driver side head gasket, bad harmonic balancer and a stripped alternator bracket. But still runs good and quiet and starts right up, still drive it like everyday watching temp and coolant level of course.
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mig Insultor

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon 5 spd

good luck. i love my 2.2

Hooray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hi. That swap should be doable if you try to get an engine from the same transmission type you have (auto or manual). Generally make sure that if your current engine has EGR that the engine you get as replacement has EGR also. Sometimes the number of holes for mating the flywheel to the trans differs also. I don't think you have to swap the ECU, I believe the '96 ECU will run it. Getting a '95 engine might be some unknowns there because of the ODBII thing (yes Subaru started ODBII in '95 but it wasn't required until '96 and might have had some glitches).

For questions such as 'is my 2.5L starter the same as my 2.2L starter' (it probably is if I remember correctly), I like to check part #'s at a site such as www.subarupartsforyou.com If the part #'s match for the two different vehilces you're golden. Even if they don't match it might still be swappable but can't be as sure as if the part #'s are the same.

If you can hook up with grossgary over at ultimatesubaru.org I think he has done a couple of these swaps and might be able to give more specifics.

If you do go with a 2.2L, there's a bunch of stuff you might as well do while the engine is out before you install it including timing belt, water pump, any bad idlers, front cam seals, cam cap o-rings, reseal oil pump and check screws for backing out and replace o-ring, replace plastic oil separator with a metal one, etc.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

picked up 95 2.2l today, 300 bucks, engine came cleaned. All looks good, just have to swap over accesories and flywheel and put it in and hook it up. It has the dual exhaust ports like 2.5l has the ob2 and same wire harness and all the egr crap. I plan on eliminating the ac and cruise just because i really don't use it and i like the nice clean open look when the hood is open. I felt much relief when i spilled some coolant out and it was actually nice clean green, not muddy exhaust filled brown like the stuff my 2.5l runs on. compression felt very strong so im just gonna change the plugs and drop it in. Correct me if Im wrong but the 2.2l are a non interference engine so I'm not to concerned with timing belt as of now but next spring i would like to get in there and change the belt and water pump. I would like to do it now but subaru budget is running out and the yard put all this warranty void marks on motor and one runs across timing belt cover seem and i really want to know it runs before voiding the warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Out with 2.5l in with 2.2l-image_043.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi. Sounds good. The 2.2L is non-interference up to and including '96. I think '97 is when they started being interference.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 09 C63 AMG, The OBS has a new home.
Default Cruise Control

Do you want to sell the cruise control components? Am looking to install on our 99 OBS 2.2L, also a non-interference engine.
lomita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

i guess we can work something out for the components, You may want to do some research on this though as far as how its controlled computer related and what all you need exactly. I wouldn't be able to sell you my steering wheel with controls on it because well i need it and its off a 96 2.5l so see if the throttle bodies are the same so you have the cable hook up on the throttle but whatever you can use off my my old motor let me know. Still undecided what I'm doing with old motor, may get heads done and replace timing belt water pump new hg's and see if i can sell it for a small profit. it has 135k miles and still sounds good, just can't run it with a thermostat in it, yet.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

endwrench 2.2L article: 2.2 Liter Engine Enhancements

Beginning in the 1997 Model Year, the 2.2 liter engine for 1997 Legacy and Impreza models has had internal and external changes that yield an approximately 10% increase in power and 3% increase in fuel economy. Accomplishing this involves many factors, one of which is engine friction reduction.

The piston, a major source of engine friction, has been coated with a friction reducing agent called Molybenum. This thin coating not only allows smoother travel through the cylinder, but also reduces cylinder wall scuffing. The skirt of the piston has been reshaped and the overall weight has been reduced by approximately 100 grams.

Compression ratio has been increased to 9.7 to 1 by reshaping the crown of the piston. This eliminates the clearance that was available between the piston at TDC and the fully opened valve. Piston pin offset has been changed to 0.5 mm. Piston to cylinder wall clearance has been reduced by increasing the piston diameter.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 09 C63 AMG, The OBS has a new home.
Default 2.2L Phase I and II

My reference journal reads:

The 2.2L pistons are cast aluminum alloy and feature a 2mm offset piston pin. The pistons are directional for the left and the right side of the engine and are stamped with an "L" or "R". In addition, each piston is stamped with an arrow which must point to front of the engine. The valve reliefs for the intake and exhaust valves are different sizes to prevent valve contact with the piston should the cam belt break.
lomita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

well that's good news because this outback is off road as much as it is on the road. And if for any reason a rock or water gets kicked up into the timing and knocks the belt or skips some teeth at least i don't need new heads. and after last night working on this motor i bet if i ever blew a belt in the woods i could change it right there with some simple tools. It took 2 hours to pull the 2.5l out and thats with changing assesories over as i went and puttsing around with other things. The 95 2.2l is almost Identical to my 96 with exception of the missing cam on each side making the overall size a bit smaller. all vacuum lines, plugs, bolts, brackets, exhaust, intake, bell housing, throttle body and even the cool ass little opening to get to the torque converter bolts was all the same. Only diffrence was the ac bracket on my 96 2.5l was aluminum and the 95 2.2l was steel, and the heads of course. So tonight after work I will finish checking new motor over, swap some vacuum lines, switch over the flywheel and drop the 2.2 in. I'm hoping that maybe the ecu being for a 2.5 maybe it will remap the fuel settings and timing for the 2.2 like it was a 2.5 and get a couple more hp out of it but thats probaly just wishful thinking but that 2.2l probably weighs a good 20-30 pound less than the 2.5. but i'll make that right back up with the full size spare mounted up in the cargo basket and lights i still need to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: