Changing fuel filter in a 1999 Outback, and some other questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 Subaru Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Changing fuel filter in a 1999 Outback, and some other questions

July I got a 1999 subaru outback station wagon. It got good gas mileage in my opinon (23.5 city / 28 hwy average) until a in about september its mileage steadily went down. Now it gets about 15 in the city. Tire pressure isn't low, the oil is good, air filter is very clean, the fuel injectors are clean now, and when I drive i try to save as much gas as I can (never rev the engine or floor it and I don't idle for long periods of time). But for some reason I am getting poor gas mileage so I go to napa and the sugguested changing the fuel filter. I bought one, and I plan on changing it since I don't know the last time it got changed. What I really need are directions to change the fuel filter safely. I was told that it might be pressureized or something like (even though the guy at napa said it was simple) that so I thought I would come on here and ask for help. Also I wanted to ask how hard it was to change a spark plug by yourself (without much experience working on cars), because it seems pretty hard to reach. I heard a bad one might be another possiblity and I wanted to check.

Another thing, when I turn my car on it takes quite a while for the engine to warm up, sometiems it idles at 1500+ for a few minutes, and when I am driving when it is still cold when it switches gears it gives a big lurch. I was looking for some possible explainations. Also I realize this is like 3 topics in one and I apologize.
Mikey Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

A stuck open thermostat will give you crap gas mileage and keep the car from warming up quickly.

When was the last time this had a tune up?

Fuel filter is easy, not much fuel will come out when you disconnect the hoses. In fact by the time you get the hoses off (it may be a fight), the pressure will be gone.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 OBW Ltd. 2.5L

I just changed my filter today. Not sure how long it has been either, but it wasn't original. As nipper says, it does take some twisting and pulling. I pulled the "IN" side off first and was surprised by the amount of gas that shot out. I did have some rags and a cup ready, however. Got the other side off easier when I could twist the entire filter.

I have done the plugs. For me it was a challenge, but I got it done. It seemed no matter the combination of sockets and extensions, I was either too long or short. Just not knowing what to expect makes it more difficult. I read on the board about removing the battery and washer tank for the driver side. That is a must. I wasn't sure about how far the plugs were into the block, so I was a little timid in trying to pull the wires. They were hard to get off for me, but they were factory original. I don't have the plug wire puller tool, so I had to pull hard while twisting back and forth. You will definitely want to use a piece of rubber hose as an extension to get the new plugs started to avoid cross threading.

I have enjoyed working on my Subaru since I got it this spring. I have been driving a company car for the past several years, so I haven't needed to work on it. It has been fun getting my hands dirty again. I need to create a post of the work I have done since I got the car. Nothing really counts as a mod, just regular maintenance.

Good luck with the operation.
cadisfli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Dont forget those PCV valves

I've found the volume of gas not unexpected, but as soon as you get the line off, the pressure (if any) drops instantly, so you wont get any spray.

It is a large volume filter, so expect some spillage.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 OBW Ltd. 2.5L

Just read your post again and thought I should add that I did disconnect the battery and wait for the car to cool before changing the fuel filter. I didn't try the depressurize method.

It's probably a good idea to go ahead and change your plug wires when/if you decide to do the plugs.

How many miles do you have on '99?
cadisfli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by nipper
Dont forget those PCV valves

I've found the volume of gas not unexpected, but as soon as you get the line off, the pressure (if any) drops instantly, so you wont get any spray.

It is a large volume filter, so expect some spillage.

nipper
I hope the PCV valve works cause that's the last thing I'm changing on this car to try to fix the large gas consumption problem that this car has.

If that doesn't work, then I'm just going to take it as is.

I must admit that this low gas mileage is disappointing. At this point, I'd be happy with just at least 20 mpg average.

Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
8kGoodENuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 Subaru Outback

it has around 154,000 miles on it. I havent been able to try to change the fuel filter yet, bad weather and no time/ light. Maybe friday or something.
Mikey Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd

Increased fuel consumption and higher rpm's after warmup can also be symptoms of a failing oxygen sensor. They generally deteriorate for awhile before you get a CEL (and even then, if you don't get it changed, the CEL will sometimes clear after a few starts, even though the sensor continues to function poorly). I had this problem on my '98 OB, and it disappeared as soon as I replaced the rear sensor. A few months later, I did the front one, too. You can do it easily do it yourself (but keep in mind that it's better to buy the OEM type, so the wires are easily matched.)
Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: