Leaking front struts already?? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i, silver, 2.5 w/manual tranny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Leaking front struts already??

Here at 13,000 miles, I had the car up to rotate tires. Saw a residue/wetness at the base of the boot that covers the strut piston, so I lifted it up...OIL!!!!! Left strut is apparently leaking, and the right one, while not AS bad, is wet with an oily residue too. Tell me that my brand new car does NOT already have bad struts!!!
Would some of you guys with 2008 model Outbacks be willing to check this on your cars too? I'm thinking it could simply MAYBE be some kind of residual something, and not necessarily a leak....at least I hope not cause I will be totally pissed at this car if that's the case.
2008wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mig Insultor

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon 5 spd

im nothing more than a home mechanic, but it seems to me that this is not necessarily a problem...the piston does need to be lubricated and on something with so much pressure on it, i cant imagine that the tolerances on the seals etc. are THAT tight. i would go with your residual theory

Hooray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i, silver, 2.5 w/manual tranny

I would like to think that's it, like maybe it's just some kind of residual assembly lube or something. I think maybe I'll wipe it off and see what happens, if it comes back or not. But I would like some others to look at their cars if they can...
2008wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT

mine went fairly early ~50k
snowon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by snowon
mine went fairly early ~50k
I would call 50K a little early, I would call 13K a defect.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '08 OBW, 2.5i, auto

I just had my '08 Outback in for the minor 22.5k service at a local independent Subaru shop and was informed that both front struts were leaking. Like your struts, the left was leaking like a sieve and the right wasn't as bad, but leaking nonetheless.

The shop owner said they have seen this often on the '07-'08s. I immediately called the dealership to schedule an appointment to get the ball rolling with this warranty repair thinking they would need to inspect it and then order the parts. Turns out the service manager I spoke with said that there is no need to order replacement struts as they have them in stock! Apparently this dealership is replacing strut inserts so often on these models that they keep them in stock. He even stated that there appears to be a problem with them as this shouldn't be happening on such a new vehicle.

I asked if they will be replacing the inserts with the same parts and he proudly proclaimed, "absolutely, we will replace them with the same type of strut." My retort was, "great, installing the same part that has a known defect. What happens when I am out of warranty." No response from him and I envisioned the smug grin fading from his face.

Anyway, next week I will bring the car in for this repair. IMHO, the suspension is marginal at best on the plain-jane Outbacks. I haven't driven the XTs, so I cannot comment on their handling. Once the replacement struts die I plan on spending the money and installing at all corners some of the aftermarket struts recommended on this site. I'll also upgrade the rear sway bar to one that is slightly larger (19mm). I'm not expecting sports car handling out of this pig of a wagon, but the wallow-y, nautical factory suspension is a disappointment. /rant off
Bayareawagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC

Quote:
Originally posted by 2008wagon
I would like some others to look at their cars if they can...
fwiw, my 2001 has no strut leaks on any corner at 95K miles.

The rear suspension is less damped than I would like when I hit a bump on a very fast curve. It works great on gnarly fire roads though. I am not a suspension expert, but I suspect that is the tradeoff...good on very fast bumps, or good on lots of slow bumps, pick one.

-Jeff
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 3.6R (5EAT)

Three dampers started leaking on my '09 within the first 10,000 miles, and one of them (right-rear shock) was totally leaked out by the time I had a chance to replace it.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '08 OBW, 2.5i, auto

Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is for struts that Subaru is putting on these cars?
Bayareawagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 3.6R (5EAT)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bayareawagon
Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is for struts that Subaru is putting on these cars?
KYB.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: