Valve Train - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2004 Subaru LL Bean Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Valve Train

Yesterday I brought my 2004 Subaru Outback in to have the oil changed at 34, 300 miles. The work was done my a trusted and highly regarded auto mechanic in my town. After the oil change I drove the car about 20 miles when I notices my once quiet engine was making a flapping sound, something like the noise made when you clip a playing card to a bicycle spoke. I drove immediately back to the mechanic, thinking something had been left loose.

After two hours, including changing the oil again, the mechanic advise me not to drive the car as I had what he believed was a problem with the valve train. He wasn't much more descriptive than that. He told me I needed to have the car towed to the nearest dealership. This at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon.

I'm totally floored by this news. This car has been wonderfully trouble free. I have maintained it regularly as recommended in the owner's manual. Though five years old, the mileage is very low as my work has, until recently, had me traveling abroad frequently.

Due to the weekend I can't do anything about this until the car is towed to the dealer Monday morning. Meanwhile I am trying to learn more and be prepared to ask questions. Except for maintenance schedules, I am totally ignorant about cars.

Anything comments or information on this topic will be gratefully recieved.

Thank you.
Annie

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Car: 2001 OB 2.5L Basic
No real definite answer here without looking at it, best just explain to the subi dealer your experience ...it was a good call of your mechanic to have it towed to the dealer...maybe it might not be anything more serious then a valve adjusting screw that has backed off..anyway, it would be appreciated that you let us know what the problem actually was... thanks
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Thank you for your reply. It gives me hope that this is not catastrophic, something like a new engine. I don't know if it has any bearing or not, but I forgot to mention my car is a 6 cylinder and the mechanic noted the noise was not there when I brought the car in.

Thanks,
Annie

Annie
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Eis Cold

Car: 08 Outback 2.5i
Were you using premium gas? I don't know about that year, but some of the 6cyl cars will ping sometimes if you don't use premium gas. Not saying this is your problem, its just something I've picked up from reading around these forums (I had to ask what pinging sounds like -- the answer I got was: "shaking marbles in a tin-can"). Doesn't sound like your problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnieP
Thank you for your reply. It gives me hope that this is not catastrophic, something like a new engine. I don't know if it has any bearing or not, but I forgot to mention my car is a 6 cylinder and the mechanic noted the noise was not there when I brought the car in.

Thanks,
Annie
6 cyl could possbily add more complications from this side of the web...4 cyl have timing belts, while 6 cyl. have a timing chain..the chain is keep under tension by providing oil pressure to the tensioner(s)...these have been known to fail from time to time even with low miles on the car..time will tell ...be patient and have the car towed in
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

I'm new at this so I don't think I'm continuing the thread properly.

On Saturday I wrote about having to have my 2004 Outback towed to the dealer as the mechanic who had just changed the oil told me I shouldn't drive the car as there was a problem with the valve train. It's a 6 cylinder with 34,300 miles on it.

Today the dealer's service department reports that because a"after market" fuel filters were used during previous oil changes, the hydrolic chain tensions did not recieve enough oil and need to be replaced and that I should have had Subaru oil filters. The repair parts and labor totals $1017.00.

Does this kind of repair seem reasonable? Does EVERY Subaru owner use Subaru oil filter and if not do they all need hydrolic chain tension replacements.

Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.

Annie P

Annie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnieP
I'm new at this so I don't think I'm continuing the thread properly.

On Saturday I wrote about having to have my 2004 Outback towed to the dealer as the mechanic who had just changed the oil told me I shouldn't drive the car as there was a problem with the valve train. It's a 6 cylinder with 34,300 miles on it.

Today the dealer's service department reports that because a"after market" fuel filters were used during previous oil changes, the hydrolic chain tensions did not recieve enough oil and need to be replaced and that I should have had Subaru oil filters. The repair parts and labor totals $1017.00.

Does this kind of repair seem reasonable? Does EVERY Subaru owner use Subaru oil filter and if not do they all need hydrolic chain tension replacements.

Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.

Annie P
Well, thanks Annie for returning back with the info..on my previous post I thought this could be one of the possible problems...first of all I would like to say that the following is just my opinion based on very personal reliable info...it is not just subaru but also for example chrysler and all auto companies that use the hydraulic chain tensioners are having problems and need expensive repairs..(even the 3000mi oil/filter change is not good enough)(or even fuel filters) thus one of the reasons I don't own A CAR WITH THIS TECHNOLOGY..for the subaru tech to blame the oil filter( I believe that is what you mean, and not fuel filter) is Pure Non-sense (another story for another time)..unfortunatly the repairs are expensive...and I would discuss this problem with your mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: