2008 Outback problems - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2008 Outback LLBean H6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 2008 Outback problems

2008 LLBean H6 engine. The transmission has had issues since day one and of course when I bring it in the tranny doesnít act up. The engine is making a very annoying whining noise and was told it was normal? The vehicle rides like an old truck very stiff.

Problem 1: The transmission shifts from second to third is seems to slip than thereís a jarring bang and it grabs. This has happened in I mode and S mode. Doesnít happen all the time but is frequent. The transmission just doesnít seem right to me. Sometimes it seems like its slipping into all gears.

Problem 2: When on the highway if the traffic slows to around 20mpg the car bucks (like the transmission is searching for the correct gear) until I accelerate. Doesnít happen all the time but is frequent.

Problem 3: Engine noise, Ok I read in the ownerís manual that the power steering pump will make noise until the engine warms up but this isnít that. I brought it in to the dealer and was told it was normal. I hope not! I have to turn the radio up so it doesnít drive me nuts. Itís actually embarrassing I just bought a 32K car and it sounds awful! It almost sounds like a transmission front pump noise.

Problem 4: Suspension is extremely stiff. When I test drove the vehicle I was told that it hasnít been prepped yet and it would soften up. Well itís been almost 5 months and its stiff as it was the day I test drove it. I have tried adjusting the tire pressure that that made no difference.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced any of these problems or is do I have to live with these problems, Thanks
tbman441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 09 Murano and a 350Z... no more Outback

You need to go to another dealer. Yours sounds uncooperative at best. They should be GLAD to do warranty work; Subaru pays them well.

Also, you might want to drive an identical car, and see how it behaves.

Don't fall into the "I'll just have to live with this" line of thinking. It sounds like stuff is WRONG.
blastoff99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Subarus tend to have stiff suspension, Check your tires to see if they are over inflated.

I think you have a failing transmission. That power steering pump noise you hear is actually the front pump in the transmission (they work the same only one is alot smaller).

Contact the regional rep for subaru, and leave the shop the car for a few days. Let them use it for parts runs, lunch, take it home. That shold give them enough time to see it. Some things are hard to diagnose when they are intermittent.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 05' OB 2.5i

Quote:
Originally posted by nipper

Contact the regional rep for subaru, and leave the shop the car for a few days. Let them use it for parts runs, lunch, take it home. That shold give them enough time to see it. Some things are hard to diagnose when they are intermittent.
nipper [/B]
I don't think I would want the car back after that.
bikemobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bikemobile

I don't think I would want the car back after that.
I disagree. They need to expierience the problem, and that is what the area rep is going to say to do anyway. You have to give them a chance with an intermittent problem, itherwise kocking them for not finding it is just silly. It's not like thew threw parts at the car and were wrong.

nipper
Old 12-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback L.L.Bean H6

I have a 2008 LL Bean H6 and do not have any of the problems you appear to have. My car is quiet and the ride is very enjoyable and secure.

My '04 Passat GLX used to have an occassional transmission "thump" when coming to a stop - so I am sensitive to transmission noises.

Have you test drove a 2009 H6 Limited or another 2008 LL Bean H6 to see if you can feel/hear a difference?

I wish you luck - issues with a new car are very frustrating.
2008 Outback H6 L.L. Bean | RalliTek 19mm Rear Swaybar | WeatherTech FloorLiner Mats | OSRAM H7 Rallye 65W | Narvaģ Rangepower+30ģ 9005 (HB3) 65w | Bosch ICON Wiperblades | Subaru OEM Subwoofer | Subaru OEM Sirius Radio | C&C CarWorx Front License Plate Bracket |Subaru OEM Front Bumper Guard | Subaru OEM Hood Protector | SPT Battery Tie Down | SPT Oil Cap | JDM Battery/ABS Covers | Subaru OEM Rear Cargo Net | Garmin Nuvi 255W mounted on the Arkon GN115 and attatched to the Subaru Cubby Mount
VDC_Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A Just in case ...

Start a diary. Keep a record of who you talk to when, when the car acts up, when it goes in the shop, miileage, phone numbers, the results etc. You may not need this, but it will be real handy to have just in case.

nipper
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

"Suspension is extremely stiff. When I test drove the vehicle I was told that it hasnít been prepped yet and it would soften up"

whoever told you that is a complete a______, what were they going to do in prep to soften up the suspension ? they don't have adjustable shocks/struts and they aren't going to replace them on a 32k car so that my friend was a complete bs line to get you in the car.

unless there is something wrong with the suspension or the previous owner changed the springs, the only option is that the tires are overinflated or you just don't like the ride. i'd do like was suggested, leave the car at the dealer and see if they'll give you another car as close to yours as possible to take home, that way you can see if there is any difference in the ride.

if you get a bad vibe from this dealer, find another one if you can and take the car to them. the trans thing does not sound normal and like nipper said, if it doesn't do it consistently, they are going to need to keep it for a few days.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2008 Outback LLBean H6

Thanks for all your replies. Im going to make an appointment with the dealer and take it for a ride with the service manager this time.

If thats the ride then thats the ride I can deal with that, the thing that bothers me the most is the engine noise. The last time I was at the dealer ( 3k service) the tech did go get a 08 3.0 legacy and it the same noise but it was cold, my engine noise is there even when its warmed up. Ive had front transmission pumps go on other cars Ive owned in the past and thats what it sounds like. I would realy like to talk with somone that has the same configuration as mine and compare shift patterns and noises.

Can you post video or sound on this forum?
tbman441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS
Default Re: 2008 Outback problems

#1. I think a saw a thread on rough 2nd-3rd shifts with the 5EAT... search, but I think the transmissions were junk. You may have to just wait for the transmission to blow up.

#2. See #1.

#3. If it's normal, then you're stuck with it. Buy some nice CDs or an iPod.

#4. This is the opposite of the complaint that most of us have about the Outback's suspension... most of us complain that the suspension is too soft and underdamped.
What vehicle are you coming from? What tire pressures are you running?
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: