Cold weather fuel leak - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback LTD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Cold weather fuel leak

hello long time listener first time poster,

I'm sure this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but my 2003 Outback limited leaks fuel on to the engine block in very cold weather. The leak is occuring on the short piece of hose on the passenger side of the vehicle between the fuel rail and intake manifold. I have e-mailed SOA and got a response to bring it in to a dealer. IMHO, Subaru should pay for this as this is clearly a design flaw after researching this online. I know the WRX has a TSB about this, but this same problem occurs in the outback also. Has anybody else experienced this issue? If you did, and got SOA involved, did they pay for repair? This is a very serious problem since raw gasoline dripping onto an engine near the hot exhaust manifold is a sure way to cause a fire. Attached are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Cold weather fuel leak-picture-003.jpg  
mrburls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Default Re: Cold weather fuel leak

Quote:
Originally posted by mrburls
hello long time listener first time poster,

I'm sure this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but my 2003 Outback limited leaks fuel on to the engine block in very cold weather. The leak is occuring on the short piece of hose on the passenger side of the vehicle between the fuel rail and intake manifold. I have e-mailed SOA and got a response to bring it in to a dealer. IMHO, Subaru should pay for this as this is clearly a design flaw after researching this online. I know the WRX has a TSB about this, but this same problem occurs in the outback also. Has anybody else experienced this issue? If you did, and got SOA involved, did they pay for repair? This is a very serious problem since raw gasoline dripping onto an engine near the hot exhaust manifold is a sure way to cause a fire. Attached are some pics:
Just fix it and dont worry about who is going to pay for it. i think this is a non starter as its just a little peice of hose. Get it done and be safer for it, instead of driving a potential fire issue.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Wagon

I had the same problem on a 2000 that I had, short-term fix is to tighten the hose clamps.
pedaler8090 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I tried tightening the clamps, but the leak is still there. I think that the hose must be double ply and one ply constricts further than the other. I bring it to the dealership on Monday, and I am going to tell them to replace the hose and clamps. I have always had this problem in cold weather, I just thought the engine was running rich. I was pretty surprised to to see gasoline dripping from the fittings onto the block. Once it warms up, its fine. I am just dissapointed that this is a common problem with Subarus and there should be at the very least, a TSB about it. This is the only reason I got SOA involved, since I have heard its a common problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Crikey. Time to go check mine...

If the dealer just replaces the hose with like, though, what's the point?
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

There was no TSB for the outback, but it has the exact same issue. In fact the hose pipe that are replaced on this TSB is the same one that leaks on my outback. (The short piece between fuel rail and intake manifold) I'm sure Subaru used the same supplier for fuel hose on the outback and WRX. They both have the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Cold weather fuel leak-wrx.jpg.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

I had the same raw fuel smell and the dealer said to tighten clamps on my own or pay for them to do it. I have a MY02 OBS and it was not within the TSB either.

I tightened the fuel clamps I could get to, and no smell anymore. And it has been like 5* F for highs lately.

Brian
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

How did you get to the clamps under that bracket? It looks like you can maybe put an offset screwdriver to get at it. Hope the whole manifold doesn't have to come off...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

same problem happening now with my 02 obw.

I smelled strong odor of fuel in the cabin 2 days ago (very cold) and again today (very cold night) on startup and warmup. Day in between was warm and did not smell fuel. seems like similar problem to all above.

dropped at dealer today. service advisor said fuel lines being over 11 years old this can happen in severe cold weather. they said that cold weather affects fuel line near fuel rail but they will leave car outside overnight and they will see if it smells like fuel again in the cabin in the morning on startup.

hopefully a small/cheap fix!
SportsCarAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Sedan 2.5 LTD
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsCarAdvisors View Post
same problem happening now with my 02 obw.

I smelled strong odor of fuel in the cabin 2 days ago (very cold) and again today (very cold night) on startup and warmup. Day in between was warm and did not smell fuel. seems like similar problem to all above.

dropped at dealer today. service advisor said fuel lines being over 11 years old this can happen in severe cold weather. they said that cold weather affects fuel line near fuel rail but they will leave car outside overnight and they will see if it smells like fuel again in the cabin in the morning on startup.

hopefully a small/cheap fix!
Hey you bumped a thread from 2008.

Here is a more modern thread. Although it is nice to know they had a TSB on imprezas / wrx. PLEASE REPORT HOW MUCH THE DEALER CHARGED. THIS IS MINOR ISSUE WHICH THEY SHOULD FIX IN 15 MINUTES.

Gas smell in cabin
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: