Front Differential Fluid Change - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2004, Outback H6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Front Differential Fluid Change

I am in the need of replacing both of my diff's fluid very soon. I seen a post in the DIY for fluid repacement that I am assuming is for the H6. Can anyone tell me how different the front diff fluid replacement is for an h6 than for a h4. For starters where is the dipstick, is it still under the airbox. Any help would be appreciated.
nancydrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 1997 OBW 2.2L 5spd

I'll assume it's an auto trans. The dipstick is in the same place, right side under the wire harness with the 3 connectors where the engine and trans mate. No difference between H6 and H4 that I can see.
outbackredux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2004, Outback H6
Default Diff fluid change

So when I was under my car doing my trans fluid change I found the dipstick for the front diff. I know you are thinking how did you find it from underneath but could not find it from above, I guess the light just caught it the right way and I happened to see it. I am assuming that to fill the front diff you fill it through the dipstick hole like filling the transmission fluid if not please let me know. I noticed that the front diff has what looks like a torx bolt, anyone know what size it is. Also to take out the bolt to drain the back diff is it best just to use a 3/4 ratchet with no socket on it or is there a proper tool to do this?
nancydrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Front diff -- drain from the bottom -- the Torx is a T70 -- fill from the top with a long reach funnel. There's either a copper or steel washer under the bolt.

Rear diff -- is that the one with the plug that has the recessed square fitting? If so, a 1/2 inch drive should work. Those fittings are usually in tight and unless the car is raised, it can be difficult to get enough leverage to break the bond, even with a longer breaker bar. Whatever you do, make sure you loosen the upper fill plug first so you know you will be able to refill, before taking out the lower drain plug.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005, outback waggon 3.0
Send a message via ICQ to Mildly_Phyco Send a message via AIM to Mildly_Phyco

does anyone know the size of the plug i need to replace it the torx is stripped? any thoughts on getting it out
Mildly_Phyco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
(...)Whatever you do, make sure you loosen the upper fill plug first so you know you will be able to refill, before taking out the lower drain plug.
VERY, VERY WISE ADVICE!!!

ALWAYS THINK TWICE OR TRICE, BEFORE YOU START DOING ANYTHING ON YOUR VALUABLE MACHINE!

I would not like to read complains by gentlemen, who do not know, where front differential is located, and recklessly fill it up with transmission oil!
For such folks I have the only recommendation - go to the shop, pay, whatever they want, and take receipt!!!

BE AWARE, WHAT YOU ARE DOING, AND DO IT ONCE ONLY!!!
fourth_impreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: