Engine knock. Is it Piston Slap? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine knock. Is it Piston Slap?

I bought an 03 2.5 outback about 4 weeks ago. I noticed a little engine noise when i test drove it but not much. Once i got to driving it everyday the noise is straight annoying. I did some research and found people reffering to piston slap. This noise sounds like a tap or a knock noise. I replaced the timing belt tensioner when i did the belt week one. I have put almost 6k on this car since i bought it and it seems to have the correct power for the size of the car. (no loss of power) the noise is very loud when the car is cold and calms down some after driving for an 30 min. or so. I drove to Florida last week and it didnt seem to be as loud during the trip. I even tried some heavier oil to see if it would quiet. I have heard one other OBW with this same noise. could it just be piston slap? should i rebuild the motor for that or just leave it be and live with the noise. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paved roads. Another example of useless government spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Re: Engine knock. Is it Piston Slap?

Quote:
Originally posted by itstowtime
I bought an 03 2.5 outback about 4 weeks ago. I noticed a little engine noise when i test drove it but not much. Once i got to driving it everyday the noise is straight annoying. I did some research and found people reffering to piston slap. This noise sounds like a tap or a knock noise. I replaced the timing belt tensioner when i did the belt week one. I have put almost 6k on this car since i bought it and it seems to have the correct power for the size of the car. (no loss of power) the noise is very loud when the car is cold and calms down some after driving for an 30 min. or so. I drove to Florida last week and it didnt seem to be as loud during the trip. I even tried some heavier oil to see if it would quiet. I have heard one other OBW with this same noise. could it just be piston slap? should i rebuild the motor for that or just leave it be and live with the noise. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm not really sure that it would be piston slap cause that piston slap usually goes away as soon as the motor reaches operating temperatures. I have piston slap when the motor is cold and it goes away after about 5 min.

That's all I can really comment on since I'm not too experienced with knock.

Hope everything works out ok though.

Andre

2006 Honda S2000 (Good Weather Warrior)
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (Extreme Weather Warrior)
2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium (Wifey's Ride)
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Car: Silver 06 2.5i
Send a message via Yahoo to mrk610
Sounds like piston slap to me .My 02 had it and the noise never went away .t would get considerable quieter once it warmed up . I have to say that in the 90 k miles I drove my car it never burned a drop of oil. I also had my oil anylased every other oil change and it always came back good no high metal reading.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ht=piston+slap

Piston slap goes away though after the car runs a minute or two. Sounds are very hard to diagnose over the net, you may have to get a trained ear to listen to it.

nipper
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Recruit

checkout a few videos on youtube for piston slap...you'll learn relatively quickly what it sounds like.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Quote:
Originally posted by nipper
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ht=piston+slap

Piston slap goes away though after the car runs a minute or two. Sounds are very hard to diagnose over the net, you may have to get a trained ear to listen to it.

nipper
So after reading your post on this link that you added, what oil do you use?

I use 10w-30 but I've wanted to try 5w-30. The only thing is that I'm afraid that the engine will leak oil since it's thinner.

Your take?

Andre

2006 Honda S2000 (Good Weather Warrior)
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (Extreme Weather Warrior)
2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium (Wifey's Ride)
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Car: 2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Clackity-clackity-clackity...

Mine does it too. The colder it gets, the louder it is. I've been told it's the valves. Maybe when I get a valve adjustment at 105k miles it will go away...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 8kGoodENuff

So after reading your post on this link that you added, what oil do you use?

I use 10w-30 but I've wanted to try 5w-30. The only thing is that I'm afraid that the engine will leak oil since it's thinner.

Your take?

Andre
I have a 97 but I dont have piston slap. Blu got a rebuilt sooby engine 3 years ago, so he got the updated pistons that correct this problem.

If an engine is going to leak oil, its going to leak oil, if its not, its not. You dont ssya how many miles are on the car, Piston slap may be more detrimental then the annoyance of an oil leak. At 105,000 miles your due for a timing belt, and we also recomend replacing the oil seals (water pump and re-seal the oil pump) all at the same time, since these will all leak eventually.

nipper
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
Sorry about not putting the miles. It has 111,000 on it now. I did the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump cam seals about 3 weeks ago or 4k ago. I am not worried about any oil leaks just the noise. I payed closer attention to the engine noise on the way home last night. It gets alot quieter after the car warms up. I still hear some noise but only if i am outside of the car listening for it.

Paved roads. Another example of useless government spending!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by itstowtime
Sorry about not putting the miles. It has 111,000 on it now. I did the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump cam seals about 3 weeks ago or 4k ago. I am not worried about any oil leaks just the noise. I payed closer attention to the engine noise on the way home last night. It gets alot quieter after the car warms up. I still hear some noise but only if i am outside of the car listening for it.
Then no worries about oil leaks. Swicth to synthetic oil and use the same grade like in the post.

see what happens.

nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: