Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Problems & Maintenance (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/)
-   -   head gasket and 2001 4 cylinder (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/16870-head-gasket-2001-4-cylinder.html)

rayeve 01-09-2009 08:16 PM

head gasket and 2001 4 cylinder

I'm trying to decide whether to hang onto my 01 Outback or trade it for a 2005 VDC Outback. This led me to two or three questions:

I was looking at another forum re 2001 Outbacks this afternoon (I think it was on Edmunds.com -- but to be honest have sort of forgotten where I saw it). Several posters on that other board mentioned having a 2001 Outback that blew the head gaskets pretty early in the life of the car. I wondered if anyone on this board has had such an experience. My '01 Subie has run like clockwork up to its current 85,000 miles. Can I assume that I'm in the percentage that is unlikely to encounter a premature head gasket problem?

Also, anyone out there with a really good estimate of when the timing belt should be replaced? (And is the flat 4 an "interference engine" or not re belt failure).

Also, here's a puzzler. Sometimes on light acceleration (often in the morning -- but not always) I have very light shaking. It's hard to describe. It feels a little like an engine miss, but I don't think it is. It's a sort of pulse about once per second or half second that feels a bit like one tire with a flat spot on it. But it's only there for a few seconds under light acceleration. I don't believe I had this for the first few years I owned the car. I don't think there's anything really wrong, but I weirded out by what the heck this might be.

Finally, what have others experienced re milage at which CV joints had to be replaced?

Thanks.

Ray

50075 01-09-2009 09:36 PM

hg

not a expert but headgaskets can go anytime, as far as timing belt 105k is when subaru says to change. yes h4 is a interference engine, if you can get a good deal on vdc i would go for it, as far as cv joint unless the boot is torn and grease is leaking out or there is someother damage they dont have to be changed

ETC 01-09-2009 11:39 PM

mine went at about 100k, you never know. fortunately if you can wrench, it's not that expensive to fix.

i believe all motors 97 and up are interference

hard to say what a vibration could be without driving it. generally i would start with tire wear, balance, or that it actually does have a "flat spot" on it from sitting in cold temps and it goes away once the tire gets some heat in it and gets round.

there are other things that can cause it, but, eliminate the most common befor eyou start going there. btw, "the tires look ok" is not a reason to move on to more complicated issues, when i got mine it shook like **** and the tires "looked fine".

cv's can go bad on any car at any time but generally the boots rot out and go well before there are any actual internal issues. you can have the boots or the entire cv changed out as preventative maintenance. one of my boots just went at 123k.

if the hg thing worries you and you can afford the newer one, let someone else have that one and put your mind at ease. of course i'd look around and see what issues people are having with the 05's [there's always something]

my theory is that no matter what i own, something is going to break on it, that's just life and cars. i can fix them so that's a plus for me, for those who can't, the piece of mind of a newer car generally makes the added cost irrelevant.

nipper 01-10-2009 12:22 AM

Re: head gasket and 2001 4 cylinder

Quote:

Originally posted by rayeve
I'm trying to decide whether to hang onto my 01 Outback or trade it for a 2005 VDC Outback. This led me to two or three questions:

I was looking at another forum re 2001 Outbacks this afternoon (I think it was on Edmunds.com -- but to be honest have sort of forgotten where I saw it). Several posters on that other board mentioned having a 2001 Outback that blew the head gaskets pretty early in the life of the car. I wondered if anyone on this board has had such an experience. My '01 Subie has run like clockwork up to its current 85,000 miles. Can I assume that I'm in the percentage that is unlikely to encounter a premature head gasket problem?

Also, anyone out there with a really good estimate of when the timing belt should be replaced? (And is the flat 4 an "interference engine" or not re belt failure).

Also, here's a puzzler. Sometimes on light acceleration (often in the morning -- but not always) I have very light shaking. It's hard to describe. It feels a little like an engine miss, but I don't think it is. It's a sort of pulse about once per second or half second that feels a bit like one tire with a flat spot on it. But it's only there for a few seconds under light acceleration. I don't believe I had this for the first few years I owned the car. I don't think there's anything really wrong, but I weirded out by what the heck this might be.

Finally, what have others experienced re milage at which CV joints had to be replaced?

Thanks.

Ray

None of those problems have fixed answers.

I have a 1997 that never had a HG issue. Any engine can blow a HG, especially as the miles pile on.
CV joints are rubber boots exposed to high heat, ozone, and the elements. There is no time that they rip. Subaru has an extended warrenty up to 100,000 miles for HG issues for your car.

There is no estimate on when the timing belt should be replaced. The belt should be replaced 105 months or 105,000 miles whichever comes first. If you have owned the car since new look it up in the owners manual, if not www.cars101.com

The vibration i am not taking a guess at as its been there it sounds like since day 1 and hasnt gotten worse.

nipper

rayeve 01-10-2009 01:05 PM

thanks for the replies

Thanks to others for their replies to my initial post.

The head gasket thing I asked about really surprises me. I've owned one Outback and 3 Legacies since they first came out. I've driven three of them to 170,000 plus miles -- in each case with no head gasket problems. So was trying to find out if there is something unusual about the 2001 models in this regard.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Ray

ETC 01-10-2009 10:03 PM

seems to be some design flaw in the first years of the sohc design that causes it, probably water jacket flow issue. they seem to have changed somthing without formally admitting that there was an issue. though, they sort of do admit to it with the extended coverage of failure and the conditioner.

you might drive this one for 200k and not have an issue, many do.