HELP!!! 4eat Transmission problems - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback L.L Bean Edition H6-3.0L engine hp-210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!!! 4eat Transmission problems

Hey everyone well tuesday night my engine check light came on(completly different than that transmission problem) but since i was going to head to the gas station i decided to go next door to pep boys an get a diagnosic check.

(horrible mistake #1)
I also said hey im due for an oil change, and because it was pouring down raining out side i decided to take it to them.

(horrible mistake #2)

Because im not the type of person to trust pep boys im not going to stand in a crappy lobby for 30mins and wait till they say its done i stood in front of the garage in the rain watching them. So were doing the diagnostic and they found the error code and couldn't figure out what it meant. I typed it into google and got my answer the next day got it fixed at my local Subaru dealership.

(horrible mistake #3)

so their lifting up the car to start the oil change im on my phone but still sorta paying attention to them, and i hear "oh s****" from the guy who was underneath the car. He said he had accidentally drained half of the transmission fluid as he mistake it for the where the oil is stored. Me being a newb to whats underneath the car and such i really didn't know but i know what he drained thou like where it was. So i go to the bathroom real quick and when i got back they said they had replaced the drained transmission oil so they gave after starting up the car again it turned over fine with no wierd noises like the first time they turned it over without filled. So they charged me half price for the oil changed. said fine and drove off.

(horrible mistake #4)

Driving home i noticed a when stepping on the gas hard that the rpm's went up and then gave power to the wheels and this was from a slow roll. The car seems fine and everywhere else the on the road under normal driving conditions. But when i step on it just sometimes not all the times like 10% of the time that drivetrain slip would happen.

So for the rest of the day i have been babying the car as i need it go to from work and to pepboys today to cuss them out. I cant rent and car because im not 24 and plus my mom is already renting a car.

But has anyone seen this problem before or know what its leading to. My outback never had this problem till it came from pep boys. I keep you updated with whats going on with the matter. So help and comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
First thing first.

Do you have any written documentation of their accidental draining?

If not, get that right away. It may be needed in the future.

Brian

If you can't see into the future, you aren't driving fast enough
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:03 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
kind of surprising but, you didn't mention whether or not you checked the trans fluid after their screwup ... did you ?

not sure if the 6 is any different but pretty much everyone here says the same thing, these things are difficult to get a good reading on the trans fluid.

don't drive it until you check that fluid and are 100% confident that it's not over or under filled.

unless the idiots put motor oil or some weird trans fluid in, that's my guess.

you should always check the oil level too. that goes for any car generally but these have three drain plugs on an auto. wouldn't be the first time they drained the wrong thing, added fluid to what they were supposed to be changing and didn't check it. if you didn't follow that, you would have double the fluid in one and none in the other.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
Like ETC says, you need to check the level of the transmission fluid. I am guessing that they probably didn't put enough in, and what you are feeling is your torque converter not fulling engaging. But that is speculation at this point.

I'm not retarded, I just don't proofread my posts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Car: 04 Outback H6
I'd say check the level of the transmission fluid & oil like the other say, but also check the color of the front diff fluid to make sure they didn't mistake that fill hole either.

Hey they screwed up once already...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Well a couple days later i took it to the subaru dealer and got my quote from them, because at the time it was really doing a number to my front diff, and transmission, I told them i would come back sunday, so for then the guy had his technicians redistribute my torque distribution to 25% front 75% rear. and a rev limiter on 5000rpm. They said this would take the force off the front differential and let some of the torque to be lost on the drive shaft heading to the rear wheels blah blah blah i really don't know i have it in writing.

So whole weekend went by and im driving a rear wheel drive subaru. Totally different feel from regular driving and because of all the rain i was sacred to step on it due to thinking i would spin out.

i took it to pep boys sunday and batched at them and thier manager got hella mad and said they would pay for it repairs at the subaru dealership. went to the subaru dealership with the manager and got it all done and the total came up to 500 and the lady paid it off and got my alignment thrown in too!

so yeah

________________________/------\___
so yeah no more rwd wagon ....... \

But i have my car back and in working condition without a cent out of my pocket!!

Moral of the story is remember to complain at the highest power they will get mad and fire people below them.

hey and thanks for all your replies great to know that if i have troubles with my car i know where to come first and ask!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
Quote:
Originally posted by H6 JON
Well a couple days later i took it to the subaru dealer and got my quote from them, because at the time it was really doing a number to my front diff, and transmission, I told them i would come back sunday, so for then the guy had his technicians redistribute my torque distribution to 25% front 75% rear. and a rev limiter on 5000rpm. They said this would take the force off the front differential and let some of the torque to be lost on the drive shaft heading to the rear wheels blah blah blah i really don't know i have it in writing.

So whole weekend went by and im driving a rear wheel drive subaru. Totally different feel from regular driving and because of all the rain i was sacred to step on it due to thinking i would spin out.

i took it to pep boys sunday and batched at them and thier manager got hella mad and said they would pay for it repairs at the subaru dealership. went to the subaru dealership with the manager and got it all done and the total came up to 500 and the lady paid it off and got my alignment thrown in too!

so yeah

________________________/------\___
so yeah no more rwd wagon ....... \

But i have my car back and in working condition without a cent out of my pocket!!

Moral of the story is remember to complain at the highest power they will get mad and fire people below them.

hey and thanks for all your replies great to know that if i have troubles with my car i know where to come first and ask!!
I'm not a subie guru by any means, but on a non-VDC subaru I don't think there is any possible physical mechanism to achieve the torque split you described.

The non-VDC 4eat can have some portion of the power sent to the front, with the remainder to the rear, but the rear can never be more than the front.

Maybe they rigged it to be 50/50 all the time? Did the car want to bind up/hop during parking-lot tight turns?

Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by CNY_Dave

I'm not a subie guru by any means, but on a non-VDC subaru I don't think there is any possible physical mechanism to achieve the torque split you described.
. . . . .Maybe they rigged it to be 50/50 all the time? Did the car want to bind up/hop during parking-lot tight turns?
Dave
Right on. The front differential (and axles) are permanently connected to the transmission output shaft via a set of 1:1 gears. It's only the rear that can be varied. They would have to somehow disconnect the AWD transfer solenoid from the TCM to force the car into full time AWD, and do it so that the on-board diagnostics wouldn't throw a trouble code for the disconnect. Hmmmm . . .

Question for H6 JON: Was this a temporary fix until you could deal with the Pep Boys people? And if it was only temporary, what did the dealer do to the car when you went back there with the Pep Boy manager?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
For future refernce

PEPBOYS IS BAD
AAMCO IS WORSE

Now...

As soon as they said oh ****mus, you should of hung up and stuck your head in the bay.
This being an H6 maybe there is some way then can program the torque split, but there is none that i know of (and I am a guru). If there was, there are many of us who would LOVE to be able to dial this in. The 5000 RPM thing tells me they put the car in limp mode. You may have misunderstoof them, or that is what limp mode does in the H6. this mode is meant to get you to the dealership without causing harn to you or the car. Yes the car will drive odly, but its suppose to as it is only menat to get you to the nearest dealership.

I think you probably had a FWD sooby. Like the others said, soobies (auto)are either
FWD or AWD, not just RWD.

What it comes down to now, is that if you are happy we are happy.

And maybe learn to do your own oil changes? Its reallyu not that hard.

nipper
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Well to answer all your questions you were right nipper i did some research and found that it was on limp mode w/ fwd. I found out that subies can only be fwd or awd like u said not rwd. I should of read and corrected myself before I posted haha But the guy who i was talking to at the subaru dealership said rwd but hey he was the guy who says "you do this, you do that blah blah blah" so then i put that together with when I went around a corner and my back end wanted to come out so i put to and to together. But yeah I was wrong, would of been nice to have a rwd wagon But oh well. now i got a problem of wind noise all of the sudden but i think i saw that on another thread so i'll check that out.

But once again thank you for all your concern I really appreciate the help from you guys. My baby is back on the road and running well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: