2001 Air Conditioning problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
elanghout

Default 2001 Air Conditioning problem

I have a 2001 Outback 2.5L and have been having problems with my air conditioning working at all times. When we have the air conditioner button pressed in on the consol, sometimes the compressor will engage and sometimes it will not. Lately, it has not been engaged more often. I have bypassed the switch by connecting a wire from the compressor to the battery to ensure the compressor still works and it did. It seems like there is a short from the ac button switch to the compressor. The light on switch does come on whether the compressor comes on or not. We checked the refrigerant level and it was at the required mark. I was thinking I might need to get behind the ac switch in the consol to analyze the problem. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: my200 Outback, 2.5 litre sohc with the typical problems...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Probably way late for a reply but likely it's the A/C relay... hopefully you have it fixed by now, what was it?
gasgasrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Another thing in the circuit is the pressure switch. Haven't seen too many posts about those going flaky but it is another thing that could make the compressor not engage. There is also a relay for the ECU to cut out the a/c at full throttle maybe that is flaky.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know this is an ancient post but I have the exact same problem and was wondering if anyone has any more input.

Thanks.
rybot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '98 LOBW/'00 OBW LTD

You need to get a AC test gauge set and check your pressures. More than likely there's a small leak somewhere, and the pressure is low.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
cdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybot View Post
I know this is an ancient post but I have the exact same problem and was wondering if anyone has any more input.

Thanks.
Many things can make a compressor not come one, a leak would be the most common reason, but electrical problems, pressure problems, and mechanical problems can also be the cause. Why don't you describe the problem you are having yourself. Do you have a volt meter? Are you comfortable diagnosing electrical circuits? Do you have access to A.C. gauges to read the pressures in your system?
cdc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybot View Post

Thanks.
more than likely low refrigerant. if system pressures aren't correct the system won't turn on, or will shut itself off.
need to check refrigerant pressure.

DIY A/C Air Conditioning leak refrigerant repair for $5 or less/15 minutes or less

but of course other things can cause it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: