Rattling Noise from Right Rear - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Rattling Noise from Right Rear

My new (78k miles) '05 Outback likes to make this rattling noise from the right rear after the wheel springs back after going over a bump in the road. The suspension is very tight and feels okay. It doesn't feel like a clunk; more like a "prrr".

I am thinking it could be a stabilizer bracket or bushing. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this systematically?
feuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

you can try to stand on the rear bumper and get the suspension to cycle and see if you can recreate the noise.

does it sound like a suspension rebound thing or a rotational thing like a cv ?

make sure the strut isn't leaking, that the spring looks seated properly.

check all the linkage bushings are intact, and check the left side against the right to see if anything looks "off"

if you can have a local parking lot with a speed bump, maybe you can have someone drive past you while you're next to it to see if you can get a better idea of what's making the noise.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

It DOES sound like a suspension rebound noise.

Standing on the rear bumper (and leaping off) yields nothing but quiet. The suspension seems okay albeit somewhat too stiff for the wagon without cargo. The Bridgestone 009 don't help but it feels skittish. I felt that there was a lot of weight transfer going on in corners for a suspension this tight, but then, I am coming from a lower 98 GT Wagon with mushy suspension.

I guess the sound COULD originate from loose trim, body panels. Nothing obvious so far. I will try closing a towel into the rear door. Is there a way to tighten the roof spoiler or is it attached with clips only?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 2.5i

My rear license plate is attached with only two screws at the top. When I close the hatch, the plate vibrates against the hatch making a rattly sound. Sometimes I hear the exact same sound after hitting a bump, so I'm guessing the plate is vibrating while driving (but I can't see the plate bounce while I drive). Just another possibility for you to check.
ron917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Mod Note: I deleted your other thread in the new user forum, and updated the title of this one. This is the correct forum.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Quote:
Originally posted by ron917
My rear license plate is attached with only two screws at the top. When I close the hatch, the plate vibrates against the hatch making a rattly sound. Sometimes I hear the exact same sound after hitting a bump, so I'm guessing the plate is vibrating while driving (but I can't see the plate bounce while I drive). Just another possibility for you to check.
Plate is attached with 4 bolts. No wobble here.

I also closed the hatch with two pieces of neoprene rubber wedged in next to the tail lights (See thread Rattle in rear of '06 OBW XT)

No joy yet; next i'll try and drive with the tail gate open and see what happens (except my stuff falling out)
Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i MT

Quote:
Originally posted by feuser

Plate is attached with 4 bolts. No wobble here.

I also closed the hatch with two pieces of neoprene rubber wedged in next to the tail lights (See thread Rattle in rear of '06 OBW XT)

No joy yet; next i'll try and drive with the tail gate open and see what happens (except my stuff falling out)
buzzbuzz = feuser.

The new alias is courtesy of my little son naming our Outback after a few rides in the OB.
The rattle however is gone.

I had a set of KYB shocks/struts with new top mounts front (OEM) and rear (KYB) put into the car. At the same time, the front sway bar bushings were replaced and a pair of new end links (front) installed.

The car is quiet over bumps now and feels much more attached to the road. The rear wheels would pogo after going over a recessed manhole cover and hitting the brakes on uneven surfaces would cause the ABS to activate. I have never felt the ABS kick in in my old 98 wagon except on ice or sometimes wet and slick roads.

I could not drive the car between installs, but I am fairly certain that there were two separate noise sources: the sway bar bushings and the strut mounts.

The former are easy to replace in DIY, the latter should be done when replacing the stock struts.

FWIW: It took several attempts to get the right part for front strut mounts from online stores and dealers. Maybe bad luck. Here are the part numbers:

20320AG00A = B13 Legacy/Outback MY 05+ USA
20320AG000 = B13 Legacy/Outback MY 04+ Europe
20320AA100 = B12 Legacy/Outback MY 00-04 USA
BuzzBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: