Inner tie-rod end replacement hours? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2.5l 2001 OB LTD MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Inner tie-rod end replacement hours?

Hello all,
I have an inner tie rod end that's way out of whack, and both rack boots are torn. I bought 2 inner tie rods ($60 total) and two new rack boots ($50 total).

I don't think I'm going to have the time or the space to actually do the work myself, but I wanted to find out what time is reasonable for both tie rods and boots. (So I can calculate labor costs - I think standard should be 65 an hour, right?) Does anyone know what kind of time this job should take?

Thanks in advance, folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Where did you buy the parts? I don't know what the book rate is. $65/hour these days is probably the lowest you are going to find, I imagine many places are $80/hr on up these days.

My first one took about two hours including setting toe afterward. An absolute must is an inner tie rod end tool, but you can get those for like $40 at harbor freight. Also make sure you get new lock washers you really don't want to reuse the old ones. And loctite the inner tie rod threads into the rack so it can't loosen, the lock washer would keep it from loosening completely but not from loosening just a little. The hardest part was getting the stupid new boot to mount correctly on the rack side, it's just so tight to work in there.

Here's some pics for some reason I never resized them so I put links instead
http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/tie-...-end-parts.jpg
http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/tie-...-end-tool1.jpg
http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/tie-...n-jam-nut1.jpg
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM

I was looking for the book rate but they don't list the inner tie rod ends separately, just as part of replacing the rack, which shows 2.9 hours.

Remember, toe will need to be checked and adjusted afterward.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2.5l 2001 OB LTD MT
Thanks so much for your replies porcupine. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

I got the tie rod ends and boots from Advance Auto Parts. The brand is TRW on the tie rods, and they have a limited lifetime warranty. (I don't know how useful that is, but at least it would cover anything I can pin on bad manufacturing...)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 PM

Car: 2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)
I've got to get around to this soon on mine, too. The left inner tie rod has some play, and both boots are just starting to tear.

Does anyone know the torque spec to which you tighten the inner tie rod to the rack?

Jim
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM

It looks to be 58 +/- 7 ft-lb(f) but I present that for reference only. I also use red loctite on the inner tie rod ends. Make sure you get a new lock washer too. Usually I just replace the inner and outer ends as a set but that's just because the salty rusty winters take their toll but it adds $ to the job.

ok this pic is going to be huge but it is kind of blury so I left it large so the part #'s can be read.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Car: 2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)
Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
It looks to be 58 +/- 7 ft-lb(f) but I present that for reference only. I also use red loctite on the inner tie rod ends. Make sure you get a new lock washer too. Usually I just replace the inner and outer ends as a set but that's just because the salty rusty winters take their toll but it adds $ to the job.

ok this pic is going to be huge but it is kind of blury so I left it large so the part #'s can be read.
Works for me, thanks! I replaced the outer ends on both sides in December of last year, so they're good. I was under the car looking for issues this weekend and found that the left inner had a bit of play side to side, although none in/out. I hope this explains the weird vibrations and semi-wandering steering I've been having lately. I drive about 70 miles per day and it's getting really annoying.

Last thing to do is make a run to Harbor Freight, and order the parts.

Jim
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Yes, the HF tool works great and it does include the right size adapter. I don't think this job could be done without that tool without removing the 'steering gear' as the manual calls it from the vehicle.

again sorry about these huge pics I must've not sized them for some reason.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post

Does the new boot come with new clamps? Or I have to savage the old clamps?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gotta use your old clamps. . . and the spring band that goes around the big end.

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: