P0700 and P1718 help - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 L.L. Beanie Gold Harvest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default P0700 and P1718 help

I saw the P0700 in the reference guide and its definition matches my receipt from autozone. AT MIL light up request. Probable cause Check TCM for service codes.
The P1718 receipt says AT CAN communication circuit.

I am working on a 2008 OBW with the 5eat and 12k mileage. Autozone wont clear the codes for me and i have tried using a laptop with software (romraider)designed too do it and the lights dummy lights wont go away for so much as a second. I have the blinking cruise (duh) CEL (duh) and VDC light on as well as the (S) for SI drive blinking.

I have been working under the dash installing some switches and tapping into various wires and have had different harnesses unplugged over the course of time. None of those seemed to effect anything until after i started the car up with the harness that controls the dashboard (everything, tach, rpm, lights ect) unplugged. It was shortly after that incident we noticed the dummy lights.

Is it possible i actually fried something or more than likely just killed a fuse/relay? Or possible the computer program cant clear CEL's like subaru can? I checked the obvious fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment and all seemed fine. I did monkey with the relay for the fog lights thats next to the interior fuse panel under the dash as well as the relay directly above that one but i have no diagram to tell me what they control.

Any ideas? And does Autozone/Adavanced Auto parts have the ability to clear these codes and just won't or can their scanners just not do it. I might be able to get a guy to do it but though i would find out if it is possible and if it would do any harm to try that before actually doing it ( i assume if there really is a problem then it either wont clear or will just simply come back rather soon).

Thanks
jeramifrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i AT

Have you made sure all of your harness connections are completely connected? You may have a circuit that isn't totally connected or you may have spread a terminal that is causing the ckt not to connect. That is just one scenario though, if there is no problem and you just set codes by not having the harness connected and starting the car, the codes should clear within a few warm up cycles so that is another way to tell if you actually have a problem.

When I am on my death bed I will not look back on my life and say "I wish I could have worked another day."

-Warren Miller
07OregonOutback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will go back and check the harnesses again. I don't suppose you or anyone else might know which harness specifically to check for this problem in case i have to check for a bad connection.. I have now gone through about 6 driving cycles and at least three of those i drove 15 miles or more.

Also, i wouldn't think this has anything to do with the codes that are being thrown, but i did the DRL disconnect which involved unplugging the white plug from the DRL module control unit. However that is all i did, i did not cut and splice any wires to get the high beam indicator back as that wasnt a huge deal and i have other ways of telling if they are on or off. So my other question is would there be anything running to the DRL MCU that would affect the 2 codes i am getting?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Have you checked for available reflashes/updates? Is this vehicle still under warranty?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

The vehicle is still under warranty, however i do not believe they will cover me tinkering under the dash, I have not checked to see if there are any reflashes or updates available yet. I am doing my best to get this solved outside of the dealership to avoid getting a costly bill over a possibly simple fix
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh sorry my bad I completely missed the tinkering under the dash part since I didn't read the whole post.

My guess is maybe one of the wires you tapped was not what you thought and was some communication between ECU and TCU.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know about the '08, but earlier soobs had various testing/diagnostic connectors under the dash, usually green, that are supposed to be _unplugged_, and if connected cause all sorts of seemingly odd things to occur and codes to be thrown.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yummy yummy. So would there be any harm if i can actually get the codes cleared at an auto store? Should the codes just come right back if the problem really is there?

I don't think it was a problem with the tapping of wires. The rundown of the final problem goes something like this.

Everything was finished with the light mods. All lights acted in the manner in which they are intended. Button everything up on the car and start her up to drive out to a friends house. On the drive out i notice my clock is dimly lit, the radio has no power what so ever, and the a/c works but the display for it does not. Next morning me and the boys start troubleshooting.

Every once in a while when i move a big bundle of cables you can hear the cd player start cycling all of the disc slots. Now i am thinking i have left a splice open or something of that nature and things are just rubbing together (bad i know). Well it turns out it was the harness that controls at least the hvac display/radio in its entirety/the entire guage cluster, not just the lights but the actual needles as well was only half plugged in and everytime it got wiggled it would make a temp connection. Unfortunately the car was still powered so we could easily test what we were doing and it was during these last few efforts to figure out that lose cable that i came up with the dummy lights.

So assuming if i did a no no on the wire tapping it would have thrown the codes instantly then that was not the problem as i drove around 20 miles after we were done with wire tapping and no CEL. It only came on when that harness kept making partial connections.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have no knowledge of any such connectors on this model, but i do remember the green one on my 05 LGT. I have plugged in nothing that wasnt already plugged in but shall poke around under the passenger side footwell and see if i see anything. I will try getting access to a laptop with serial and run romraider again wit the DRL module plugged back in and see if it can clear the codes. I am not entirely sure we are using the program correctly as we couldnt clear the code when we tried before which indicated to me either we were using it wrong or the problem is a sure thing thus the code can't be cleared.

Edit:I checked under pass side and found what is most likely these connectors you speak of. They are currently unplugged. Do i need to connect these in order to run the diagnostic program and clear the codes with this romraider program?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update.

Tried resetting ECU via laptop with and without the DRL harness unplugged. Both ways done with the diagnostic connectors plugged in for the reset and unplugged after. Still no dice. I have a line on a guy who will do it at an auto store in the next couple of days so if it hasnt been figured out by then i guess that might be my last ditch effort.

Couple of thoughts and or questions. 1. Is it possible the trouble code is being stored in a different ECU as in the transmission or something similar. If so should the main ECU reset clear that? 2. Anyone have a relay layout for the entire car so i can see if there are any relays i should try checking. I did the fuses already that seemed pertinent but have no clue what relays go to what other than the FOG one for the foglight mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: