Battery dies after sitting for only 10-12 hours - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery dies after sitting for only 10-14 hours

New to the forum...I'm actually driving my mom's '00 Outback for the summer. Anyhow, I've searched the forum and it sounds like a parasitic drain is fairly common, however, all the posts I saw related to a dead battery after the car was left sitting for a week or more.

So, story is that the car has been driving fine for a month and when I went to leave work a few days ago the car wouldn't start (after sitting from 8am til 5pm). Jumped it off and drove home fine then it wouldn't start the next morning. Took it to Napa to check the battery and it had 12.09 volts when turned off. Dropped it off at the mechanic near work in the morning for them to charge it up (my mistake was not checking the voltage after they charged it). Car was fine when I left to go home from work that afternoon, but was dead the next morning. I was getting 13-14 volts at idle so I figured it was the battery. Purchased a new battery yesterday morning and it was fine the whole day then...yep...it was dead this morning. Any thoughts?

I've had alternator problems on cars before, but the symptom of that was that the car died while driving...this time the car runs fine while driving. As a note, yesterday before I bought the new battery, the ABS light was on / off intermittently after jumping the car and on the way to work after buying the battery. But it has stayed off since I parked it at work yesterday, so I chalked it up to the car just needing to sort itself out after getting a new battery.

TIA for any help! Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
poontz13

Welcome to the forum.

A new, fully charged battery draining overnight -- that's quite a drain. Are you sure the Parking Light switch (the one on top of the steering column) is OFF? The parking lights themselves can drain several Amps.

A typical car battery might have a 50 Ah capacity. Disregarding some of the more intricate technicalities of these specs, if the battery drains down in 10 hours, that means there's a continuous load of about 5 Amps when the car is parked. The normal "parasitic" drain should be in the range of 0.15 Amps.

If it's not the parking light switch, you might want to make have the charging system tested. While in the car, with a fully charged battery, the alternator should be running at 14-14.8 Volts at 1500 rpm. It's possible that even though you measured 13-14 Volts at idle, the alternator is not actually putting out sufficient current to maintain the charge on the the battery. So at the end of the day, the battery is already significantly discharged.

Other possibilities are corroded connectors at the battery or alternator preventing the battery from being charged.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Sounds like the virgin switch is on (parking light switch as mentioned above).

nipper
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
poontz13

Could also be a slipping alternator drive belt.

Just noticed that in another thread, ( 04 Outback with A/C problem ) you report that the A/C belt on this car appears to be slipping. Perhaps the same is happening with the belt for the alternator.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM

Car: '06 Outback 2.5i
Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM
While in the car, with a fully charged battery, the alternator should be running at 14-14.8 Volts at 1500 rpm. It's possible that even though you measured 13-14 Volts at idle, the alternator is not actually putting out sufficient current to maintain the charge on the the battery.
another thing to check would be the output voltage of the alternator with all the accessories on (radio, blower fan, high beams... etc)

... i've seen alternators pass the test unloaded but fail once you turn a couple things on.

make sure its not something simple like the light under the hood sticking on.

Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Thanks for the replies. The virgin light was off, checked that. The outcome was an alternator going down hill...under load it wasn't keeping up like two of you mentioned. When I jumped the car off yesterday to go to get the system checked I didn't get a mile down the road before the car began to try and shut off, first time that'd happend (on this car, I've been through 4 alternators on past cars). Since the car had never tried to shut off on me while driving, I didn't think the alternator was the problem...turns out I just had to be patient. Also, Plain OM, I replaced the AC belt while everything was apart so hopefully that will fix the AC problem at highway speed...the other drive belt looked fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Quote:
Originally posted by poontz13
Thanks for the replies. The virgin light was off, checked that. The outcome was an alternator going down hill...under load it wasn't keeping up like two of you mentioned. When I jumped the car off yesterday to go to get the system checked I didn't get a mile down the road before the car began to try and shut off, first time that'd happend (on this car, I've been through 4 alternators on past cars). Since the car had never tried to shut off on me while driving, I didn't think the alternator was the problem...turns out I just had to be patient. Also, Plain OM, I replaced the AC belt while everything was apart so hopefully that will fix the AC problem at highway speed...the other drive belt looked fine.
Have any of those ALt's been from subaru. Blu went through 4 of them till he got one from subaru, and it solved the porblem. Aftermarket alts seem to be crap for these cars.

nipper
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Car: 98 Legacy Outback Limited
Check your connections. I've had problems with a bad connection draining a battery somehow.

Do you love winter sports and are a photographer or filmer?
www.snowtographers.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Recruit

Quote:
Originally posted by nipper

Have any of those ALt's been from subaru. Blu went through 4 of them till he got one from subaru, and it solved the porblem. Aftermarket alts seem to be crap for these cars.

nipper
Those weren't on a subaru, three were on a Nissan and one on an Audi. By the third one on that nissan I could replace the alt in 30 minutes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: