Changing valve cover gasket 2002 H6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 02 BE H6 / 09Tribeca Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Changing valve cover gasket 2002 H6

So about two weeks ago i gathered most parts for a tune up and bought valve cover gasket set cause mine was leakign for a few month now. I figured while i was at it i figured i'd change spark plugs, pvc valve, oil/filter, fuel filter, plus some minor cleaning of the engine bay.

it was the passenger side that was leaking so thats the only side i did so far. since i dont have stock air box getting to the head is a bit easier then for most peole would be,

first disconnect the battery, and jack up the car you will need to get under to get lower bolts. then start by removing engine cover,
after i removed the ingector cover( it looks small but pretty heavy) remove plate that holds ingector/spark plug harness,
then disconnect each plug igniters from the harness at this point you should be able to pull the harness away toward the back of the engine and not have it in your way. somewhere in between remove your a/f (o2)sensor and unclip last small wire going to oil pressure switch.
now all you'd have is more or less empty head so this is where it get nasty you have to remove your spark plug igniters/coils this is more or less easy. remove all of them and i would recommend set a side in the same order you removed them so they can go back in the same place again when putting everything back together.

then i went ahead and removed the spark plugs wich was a @#$%* to get to but with the right swiwel head spark plug socket it wasnt as bad as it could have been.

at this point there is nothing left but to remove valve cover so starting from the corners in opposite way of assembly start loosening all the bolts i made sure i was able to get to all of them and they were moving before i took even one out. then becasue of the clearance you slide the cover toward frame turn it about 85 degrees and you should be able to lower it down under the car. for some reason i couldnt get it to move up and i didnt want to force it so i just lowered it down. now take a good look at the only design flaw i found on horizontal engine SLUDGE on the upper part of the cover where oil only splashes. it wasnt a big deal but took a while to clean up.

after i removed valve cover i noticed that it would be way easier to take plugs out whne the cover is off but i do not know if you d have enough clearance to take the cover off if the plugs stick out or not so i went the long route.

and finally here is the pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/PetrovRo...eat=directlink
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 3.0R 2007

Thanks for sharing the nice job done with the informative photos!
saikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeam im not to good in writing diys more in doing them but if anyone has questions/needs help or diagrams for proper bolting sequence let me know and ill post them
Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

I'm hoping I never need to do that... I may also just let the dealer keep doing the plugs (I'm getting lazy, dealer did the plugs at 60K, need to check when they're due).

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

@ 120k plus some fluid changes, but i have no idea when mine were done i got the car with 86k and did this at 138k with no misfires or any other hiccups, but plugs do look pretty worn out.
instead of going with NGK wich i love but are bloody expensive i went with E3 wich where about half the cost of NGKs and they have been great so far, i put about 1300 miles on them already and car runs just as good as with NGKs since i did so many things at once i cant tell if its better becasue of plugs, oil, fuel and air filter or a combiantion of them all.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just checked, plugs are due every 60Kmiles.

Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

its funny how subaru says its every 60k while a platinum plug in general suppose to last at least a 100k, i wouldxnt go that far but if everything electrical in the has been in good shape 75k would be more accurate.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodik
its funny how subaru says its every 60k while a platinum plug in general suppose to last at least a 100k, i wouldxnt go that far but if everything electrical in the has been in good shape 75k would be more accurate.
I'm sure to a certain degree it's set at a multiple of one of the other service intervals.

That, and a bad plug will damage the converter, so better safe...

Dave
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
yeam im not to good in writing diys more in doing them but if anyone has questions/needs help or diagrams for proper bolting sequence let me know and ill post them
Do you have any schematic or photo's showing the electrical connection on the intake harness. I just changed the head gaskets and can't find where to plug one connector back in? I haven't pulled the intake again to see if I missed one there.
turnerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Take a picture of the connector your trying to find the home and post it.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: