Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Problems & Maintenance (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/)
-   -   flashing ignition light (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/20103-flashing-ignition-light.html)

kurlz511 08-28-2009 06:40 PM

flashing ignition light

Help! I recently purchased a used 07 Outback. The other day I noticed that the circular red light around my ignition switch flashes regularly everytime the vehicle is running. It's a steady flash on and off for 1 second each. It's not a fuse issue because it doesn't fluctuate. Does anyone know what this means or why it's happening?

plain OM 08-28-2009 08:58 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new OB.

The key illumination ring should come on when the driver door is opened and slowly fade down or go out when the key is turned to ON. It will also come on when the keyless entry remote is used to unlock the doors (as should the interior cabin light). But I'm not aware of any function that would cause it to flash independently. (Others might have had this same symptom and might have other ideas.)

The key ring light is controlled by the body integrated unit, which is a microprocessor that also controls the keyless entry and the security/immobilizer system. Perhaps the flashing ring is related to the security system.

Are any other warning lights on the instrument panel lit or flashing at the same time? Also, do you have the keyless entry remote control, and if so, have you used it to lock and unlock the doors? If you have the remote, and lock the car, does the red security light on the instrument panel flash?

nipper 08-29-2009 09:34 AM

read the owners manual, maybe it means something.

nipper

ETC 08-30-2009 12:51 AM

May be something here :

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyles...gram%20remotes

clarker01 04-28-2010 08:43 PM

Hey Kurlz,
You ever find out what the problem was? I have the same thing going on, red ring flashing around ignition key...

plain OM 04-29-2010 08:04 AM

ignition key illumination light blinking (flashing)

1 Attachment(s)
Finally might have found something . . .

Has the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) been changed, or has a dealer had to access the BIU with the Subaru Select Monitor for diagnostic purposes?

The key ring illumination light will blink if a BIU setting has been altered from "Market" to "Factory".

plain OM 04-29-2010 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[Still can't edit posts if after more than 10 minutes]

Should have included this (also from 2007 FSM):

nipper 04-29-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plain OM (Post 234574)
Finally might have found something . . .

Has the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) been changed, or has a dealer had to access the BIU with the Subaru Select Monitor for diagnostic purposes?

The key ring illumination light will blink if a BIU setting has been altered from "Market" to "Factory".

Mozde?

clarker01 04-29-2010 11:54 PM

Wow,
Thank you plain OM, this is good stuff. Yes, I changed the BIU and then brought the car to my local Subaru dealer to get my immobilizer keys linked to new BIU. They said they could not do it and that I had to buy new keys. So I wound up buying two new keys at $50 a pop and now the ring is flashing, I'm not sure they entirely know what they are doing. I will go to the dealer armed with this and hopefully they will be able to correct it.
Thanks again, Rich

plain OM 04-30-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipper (Post 234718)
Mozde?

A special Factory "mode" involving "modificationz" and transposition of preset parameters. Unique to Subaru. "It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru" :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarker01 (Post 234776)
. . . Yes, I changed the BIU . . .

Hmmm -- why? (Curiosity at this stage, but perhaps helpful information recorded here in the Forum in case others have similar symptoms in the future.)