2000 Outback - CEL & AT Oil Temp light constantly flashes - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Outback (Legacy)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Outback - CEL & AT Oil Temp light constantly flashes

Ok, so we got a new engine in the Outback recently, maybe 3 weeks ago?

now while my wife was driving to work the CEL came on and the AT OIL TEMP light started flashing and the trans was shifting a bit jerky when she came to a stop and took off from the stop.

I drove it to the mechanic and everything checked out he said the trans fluid looked fine and he couldnt get the temp light to come back on after driving the car for a few miles etc

it was flashing constantly due to the oil temp was too hot, not like the error codes were being shown

the CEL shown last time was TPS sensor out of range, but it checked out ok per my mechanic.

now today it came on again, she's going to Autozone to get the code read because its not far from her and is free.

my guess is that the TPS sensor is bad and its not shifting right, why couldnt this happen on my car and not the wifes... i ACTUALLY NOTICE stuff happening that might not be right with out the aid of a light on the dash!

I heard from my wife and its a P0122 Throttle Position Sensor circuit range problem
So sounds like replace the TPS sensor?

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
07 HD Sportster Custom Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

sheesh, for what they want for a TPS sensor, i just sprayed down the throttle body and sensor with some tb/intake cleaner and it seems to be fine.

thanks for viewing.

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

problem is still coming back. same codes.

any ideas?

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If the AT Oil Temp light flashes while driving, it is indicating a control problem between the Transmission Control Module and the transmission itself. When the transmission fluid is getting too hot, the light will come on steady.

Also, in some cars, if a transmission problem can affect engine operation, or safety, it will also cause the CEL to come on as an additional warning.

Although your car might have an underlying TPS problem, I don't think this would cause the AT Oil Temp light to flash.

Unfortunately, basic diagnostic code readers usually can only read the engine/emissions-related codes stored by the engine control module -- not the codes generated and stored by the TCM, which would occur when the AT Oil Temp light flashes.

I would suggest checking with Autozone to see if their diagnostics reader can read Subaru transmission codes applicable to your model year. If not, you might have to take the car to a dealer to check. (There was a posting here some time back about being able to read the codes using a procedure that would cause the AT Oil Temp light to flash in a particular sequence corresponding to the stored code. A seach might find it, or perhaps someone can post the procedure here .)

I would add that transmission control problems have, in some cases, been isolated to bad connections in the transmission control harness connectors.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 AM

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC
Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM
There was a posting here some time back about being able to read the codes using a procedure that would cause the AT Oil Temp light to flash in a particular sequence corresponding to the stored code. A seach might find it, or perhaps someone can post the procedure here .
I dunno about MY2000, but on my MY2001 the procedure is:[list=1][*]drive above 20 km/h until warm[*]stop, hold brake down, and shift to 1[*]ignition off[*]ignition on[*]shift thru 2-1-2-3-D[*]watch the AT Oil light carefully[/list=1] If the transmission computer has thrown any errors, the AT Oil light will flash the codes. First a series of long flashes (1.2 seconds each) and a series of short blinks (0.2 seconds each) for each code, then a 1.5 second pause between codes, then the next one, etc.

Count the flashes and blinks. The number of long flashes is the first digit of the trouble code; number of short blinks is the second digit.

Then look the code up in the service manual, or post it here and someone can help.

-Jeff
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

so naturally i was gonna go get the CEL codes ran and the light went off and the car drove fine. seems like thats always the dang case.

anyways.. i did find that when i put the car in 1 or 2 it will act as normal but if i go in 3, it will act as if it were in Drive.

my wife took the car to work today and the lights come back on and it goes to limp mode again. argh. if she has the codes read again, im guessing they will be as the last few times was for tps reading low or something (p0122 or 0121), then i think there was also a trans. code 31 (dont quote me on that one)

i just wish someone else had this problem and could say what they did to fix it, i just hope i dont need a new tranny, we just put a new engine in a few months ago!

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:44 PM

Car: 07 2.5i
You just had major work done (new engine) which required many electrical connectors to be disturbed. The code you are getting, "P0122 Throttle Position Sensor circuit range problem" could be the sensor or the circuit - people tend to forget the circuit part. Couple that with the transmission weirdness, and I think you have a simple electrical problem. They can be hard to find, but simple and cheap to fix once located.

Check the connectors. Unplug them, check for bent, loose or dirty connectors. Straighten any bent or loose connectors in the plug. Spray with contact cleaner. Re-plug them and make sure they are tight.

My most recent experience with this: shortly after the headgaskets were replaced in my '99 Outback, the car started randomly losing power and stalling. After two weeks of pulling my hair out, I found that the crank position sensor connector wasn't tight. I clicked it together properly, and haven't had a problem since.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ron917
You just had major work done (new engine) which required many electrical connectors to be disturbed. The code you are getting, "P0122 Throttle Position Sensor circuit range problem" could be the sensor or the circuit - people tend to forget the circuit part. Couple that with the transmission weirdness, and I think you have a simple electrical problem. They can be hard to find, but simple and cheap to fix once located.

Check the connectors. Unplug them, check for bent, loose or dirty connectors. Straighten any bent or loose connectors in the plug. Spray with contact cleaner. Re-plug them and make sure they are tight.

My most recent experience with this: shortly after the headgaskets were replaced in my '99 Outback, the car started randomly losing power and stalling. After two weeks of pulling my hair out, I found that the crank position sensor connector wasn't tight. I clicked it together properly, and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the tip, i ended up getting some contact cleaner and (knock on wood) its been fine ever since. on the other hand. makes me mad that i pondered this crap for like 2 months and it was that simple (so far!)

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Temporarily fixed i guess...

it started doing this crap again. but this time my wife said the CEL just started constantly flashing when she was driving! whats that mean? i couldnt find anything about it.

Scott

00 Legacy Outback
06 Scion xB
92 Loyale
01 Suzuki Marauder
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC
Quote:
Originally posted by xbeerd
my wife said the CEL just started constantly flashing when she was driving! whats that mean?
According to my 2001 service manual:

"If the diagnosis system senses a misfire which could damage the catalyzer, the MIL will blink at a cycle of 1 Hz."

Time to read the codes again. See if you can get the freeze-frame data also. That might give you some clue as to what conditions set it off.

-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: