Subaru Outback Forums banner

Blower, A/C, heater not working

40K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lockmedic 
#1 ·
Today as the rain hit the northern NJ I needed to use my windshield defogger and I had zero response from the blower.

These are the fuses (behind the change tray) I have checked so far
Heater fan fuses 1 and 2 (both good)
Air Conditioner (good)

Under the hood
Radiator Cooling fan (main)- good
Radiator Cooling fan (sub)- good

The A/C lights come on, I am able to engage levels 1,2,3, and 4 of the fan. All of the modes indicate that they are on but I am getting no airflow from ANY of my vents.

I hear something engage behind the driver's side dashboard when I press the defogger and/or the A/C button (the relay I'm guessing).

Over the last few days I've noticed that my battery is dying.
4-5 times now during the last few days I have had to hold the ignition key for 4-6 seconds to get the engine to start. I'm wondering if any of this excessive cranking has caused my blower motor to literally "blow."

Please advise what I should do next. I will clean off the top of the battery tomorrow with NaHC03 (Baking Soda) + water. I will keep ye' all posted.

See less See more
#2 ·
Look at this thread, it has pictures of the HVAC filter and is where the fan is located.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14201

Take that apart or just get your head under there and try to cycle the fan on, you should be able to hear if it's trying to work. Make sure the plugs are all on tight, might want to pull them off and put them back to make sure you have a connection.

Open up the filter and see if there is excessive amounts of leaves, pine needles etc, I've seen them build up in the fan intake enough to actually stop the fan motor.

If there are no fuses blown and the switches appear to be working, you just need to start taking it apart and find where the problem is. If you get to the fan motor and the blade moves freely, you can use a 12v battery to see if it spins.

#3 ·
The cause of the problem was in the cigarette lighter fuse. A few days ago I plugged my 350W power inverter into the tail gate power supply with the cigarrette lighter plug. It didn't work so I tried the cigarette lighter in the front (this too didn't work), I then ran the p0wer inverter off the car battery and it worked. I think that there is something wrong with the plug because it blew the fuse.

My cabin air filters are now clean (not replaced). Getting that glove box out was a Bee-otch.

#4 ·
350w @ 12v is 29 amps ... not surprising the fuse blew.

I've used inverters before but haven't had much luck using the cig lighter as a power source. I'm really surprised that they are even allowed to supply a cig lighter plug with them since the feed wire is about a 16 g. For comparison the 360 watt amp in my truck requires a 10 wire.

#5 ·
I have this problem as of yesterday AM and it is going to be -9 F tonight and tomorrow. I opened it up and change the cabin filter. At his point when I turn the vent system on everything was working tested it for two hours with different settings. Then put everything back on and the blower stopped working again. It is also not pushing any warm air on the passenger side, it does push cooler air. I noticed the actuator motor is not kicking in for the passenger side. Found out it is a dealer item so plan to order that. I will be opening up the glove compt. and everything again tomorrow to see what is the issue. Let me know if you have any insight into this. Thanks for all the posts.

#7 ·
bettiecastle that looks very spammy. 3 posts and one of them is a link to something totally unrelated. . . you're officially on my radar so how about doing something that confirms you're a human, like say, mention what kind of Subaru you own or are considering buying. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.