Blower, A/C, heater not working - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: NA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Blower, A/C, heater not working

Today as the rain hit the northern NJ I needed to use my windshield defogger and I had zero response from the blower.

These are the fuses (behind the change tray) I have checked so far
Heater fan fuses 1 and 2 (both good)
Air Conditioner (good)

Under the hood
Radiator Cooling fan (main)- good
Radiator Cooling fan (sub)- good

The A/C lights come on, I am able to engage levels 1,2,3, and 4 of the fan. All of the modes indicate that they are on but I am getting no airflow from ANY of my vents.

I hear something engage behind the driver's side dashboard when I press the defogger and/or the A/C button (the relay I'm guessing).

Over the last few days I've noticed that my battery is dying.
4-5 times now during the last few days I have had to hold the ignition key for 4-6 seconds to get the engine to start. I'm wondering if any of this excessive cranking has caused my blower motor to literally "blow."

Please advise what I should do next. I will clean off the top of the battery tomorrow with NaHC03 (Baking Soda) + water. I will keep ye' all posted.
Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

Look at this thread, it has pictures of the HVAC filter and is where the fan is located.

Cabin Air Filter, DIY for $12 bucks

Take that apart or just get your head under there and try to cycle the fan on, you should be able to hear if it's trying to work. Make sure the plugs are all on tight, might want to pull them off and put them back to make sure you have a connection.

Open up the filter and see if there is excessive amounts of leaves, pine needles etc, I've seen them build up in the fan intake enough to actually stop the fan motor.

If there are no fuses blown and the switches appear to be working, you just need to start taking it apart and find where the problem is. If you get to the fan motor and the blade moves freely, you can use a 12v battery to see if it spins.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: NA

The cause of the problem was in the cigarette lighter fuse. A few days ago I plugged my 350W power inverter into the tail gate power supply with the cigarrette lighter plug. It didn't work so I tried the cigarette lighter in the front (this too didn't work), I then ran the p0wer inverter off the car battery and it worked. I think that there is something wrong with the plug because it blew the fuse.

My cabin air filters are now clean (not replaced). Getting that glove box out was a Bee-otch.
Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

350w @ 12v is 29 amps ... not surprising the fuse blew.

I've used inverters before but haven't had much luck using the cig lighter as a power source. I'm really surprised that they are even allowed to supply a cig lighter plug with them since the feed wire is about a 16 g. For comparison the 360 watt amp in my truck requires a 10 wire.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: