Subaru Outback Forums banner

Installed aftermarket stereo, now my heat doesn't get warm ('05 OBW)

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Marbleyard 
#1 ·
So, I finally decided to take the plunge and install an aftermarket radio (mainly for bluetooth). I got a Pioneer DEH-P610BT and a customer install kit from Crutchfield. Installed it last night and it looks/sounds incredible. So much better than the stock radio.

I do have a significant problem, however. The climate control cable (manual controls) somehow doesn't turn the heat all the way hot. I know what the issue is...the cable, for some reason, isn't pulling the lever all the way hot. I don't know how this happened, as all I did was uninstall the cable as per the Crutchfield instructions, and reinstall it. It was very difficult to do, however. In fact, it was the hardest part of the stereo install.

How can I adjust this cable so that it fully rotates the heating lever underneath the dash?

Please help, winter is on the way! :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Check to make sure the cable is not binding up somewhere, and check the back of controls themselves.

I agree this was the most difficult part of the install by far! The other part I didn't like is how the new plastic creaks and squeaks over the smallest bumps. I fixed the extra noise by gluing some small fabric squares on all the mounting tabs and wherever there was plastic to plastic contact.

Best of luck getting the cable problem resolved

#3 ·
Ok, so I removed the stereo and a/c unit. This may be a total shot in the dark, but can anyone tell me if my cable assembly looks right? It had to have changed in some way when I initially uninstalled it. I'm thinking somehow the blue wire slipped out of the white clamp...? Hope that makes sense.

Anyone able to help? Does my wire/assembly look like yours?

BTW, my temp is on all the way hot...

#4 ·
a-hah! I think I figured it out. It's the way I am "fishing" the line through the dash. Apparently, I am taking a "shortcut" causing the proper length to be negatively affected.

Now, I have no idea how to "properly fish" this wire through my dash...

Anyone have any idea where I could see a diagram/photo of how to do this correctly? I have a Chilton manual and it doesn't show anything useful.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Ok, so my thread was moved and I feel like I'm talking to myself...cool.

Anyhow, I figured out what happened. I needed to clip the blue wire and "washer" into the under dash clamps. Once I did this, voila! It was fine again!

So, most everyone will glaze over this thread without a second thought, but if you are installing an aftermarket stereo in a 2005+ outback with manual heat/AC, you will appreciate this thread.

Good luck. I never want to encounter this fiasco ever again.

#6 ·
Glad you got it figured out! :)
I don't know how much different an '05 is compared to an '04 (besides a year newer :) ) when it comes to stereos, but did you replace speakers also? Does yours have the sub/amp under the seat?
I sold an older Grand Cherokee in order to get my '04, & I really miss my stereo that I let go with it. I didn't know how much of an undertaking it'd be to replace the head unit & all the speakers.
My stock stereo sounds ok, but that's the think...just ok. Compared to the Alpine head unit, the RF amp, the Memphis speakers & the RF DVC sub I had in the Cherokee, it's mediocre at best.

#8 ·
JGKC9AYC said:
Glad you got it figured out! :)
I don't know how much different an '05 is compared to an '04 (besides a year newer :) ) when it comes to stereos, but did you replace speakers also? Does yours have the sub/amp under the seat?
I sold an older Grand Cherokee in order to get my '04, & I really miss my stereo that I let go with it. I didn't know how much of an undertaking it'd be to replace the head unit & all the speakers.
My stock stereo sounds ok, but that's the think...just ok. Compared to the Alpine head unit, the RF amp, the Memphis speakers & the RF DVC sub I had in the Cherokee, it's mediocre at best.
Not sure about the 2004 model...the '05 was a handful enough.

I didn't replace the speakers; I'm still running the factory setup. I also don't have a factory sub (or any sub for that matter). All I know is I have some incredible sound coming out of those "crappy" factory speakers. It is remarkable how great they sound. Bass, mids, and highs are very evident with this Pioneer head unit. Best $270 I've spent in a looong time.

If you are on the fence, take it from me. There's nothing like streaming SomaFM's Groove Salad via BT via my iPhone 3GS while driving down the interstate. It's heaven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.