Steering jams, belt squeaks turning wheel at low speed - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i 2.5 L non-turbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering jams, belt squeaks turning wheel at low speed

I have an intermittent problem with the steering, I think only when parking (we park parallel in front of our house) but not necessarily when sitting still, sometimes rolling still. The wheel will lock up (can't turn it at all) and the belt squeaks like the power steering pump stopped spinning. Then everything is back to normal. It lasts for a second, sometimes it does it a couple of times in one parking maneuver, sometimes only once. It does it when the car is cold or hot, sometimes when we're pulling away from the house, sometimes when returning to the house. Summer or winter, but perhaps more in winter. It's been a lot less frequent lately. It is not turned to full lock but I think it's only when making a rapid steering change (like you do when parallel parking).

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Car: 05' OB 2.5i
Check for a worn belt. Mine was squeaking on takeoff when cold. It wasn't squeaking when turning oddly enough.

I looked at the belt and it was badly cracked probably original. Replaced it and did 3 drive/tension adjustment cycles to make sure it was just tight enough not to squeak. The tension adjuster is variable so the tightness can be adjusted unlike preset tensioners.

Your situation is the pump causing extra load on the belt and the belt slipping over the pulley due to being loose or worn. This causes 0 power steering pressure. I imagine that quick movements would cause spikes in load just like turning it and hold it at left lock or right lock.

If you need pictures or instructions let me know.

Yeah, mine shakes at idle, they all do that..........right?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
Strange you didn't mention whether you checked the belt tension, condition or the power steering fluid level .

If not, check those and get back to us.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i 2.5 L non-turbo
Quote:
Originally posted by ETC
Strange you didn't mention whether you checked the belt tension, condition or the power steering fluid level.
I knew I'd forget some info, even though I was trying to be thorough. PS fluid level is fine, never had to add any. Belt tension seems fine (I don't have a device to measure it, though, just by finger feel) and the belt seems to be in good shape. I'll try to check the belt condition again this afternoon with a flashlight. Those were the first things I checked when this problem came up and they looked fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Car: 07 OB 2.5i Basic 120,000+ Miles
Check out this thread where I posted an answer to this issue.
Belt Noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: