Airbag light stays on - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yup, I got here in THAT!

Car: 2007 OBW, 2.5i, silver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Airbag light stays on

I need help before I go to the stealer. 2007 OBW 2.5i, AT, 44,700 miles. I have noticed the airbag light staying ON today (driver's side I assume - it's on the very left, under the fog lamps indicator). The first time it did it with no passengers. Turned off the car, waited 3-4 seconds and restarted. The light went off. An hour later, same thing happened, except I had my wife in the car too. Turned off the car, restarted and the light went off. Few more hours later, wife in car, airbag light stays on again. Turn off car, restart, this time it doesn't go away. (Btw, It's not the passenger's airbag light) I have her lift off the seat just to eliminate that possibility, the passenger side airbag light comes on (obviously, no weight on the seat). She sat down and the passenger light went off as it should, but the original light stays on.
Similar thing happened a while back (few months ago), but it went away after the first restart. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find any codes, said everything was fine. This time, I'd like to be "prepared" before I go the stealer's route. Does anybody have any ideas? If I should check any connectors, where should I look? What else (besides a loose connector) could cause the light to stay on?

Thanks in advance!!

Respect The Wagon!
Don't Fear the Dirt!
SubaCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The airbag warning light in the instrument panel is a "system fault" light, whereas the passenger airbag on/off light is a status light.

Here's what the FSM suggests as possible causes of the airbag warning light staying on:

Airbag warning light is faulty (this relates to the light's logic circuitry in the instrument panel).
Airbag control module to airbag warning light circuit is shorted or open.
Grounding circuit is faulty.
Airbag control module is faulty.
Connection of (AB1) and (B31) is improper.
Connection of (AB6) to airbag control module is improper.

The first thing to do is to check for trouble codes. I believe that the Subaru Select Monitor or a similar code reader capable of communicating with the airbag control module is needed, therefore necessitating a visit to the dealer. The airbag DTCs are 2-digit codes. If no code is detected, then there is a sequence of tests that can be done to check for one of the above causes. Some of these appear to require a special test harness.

As indicated in the diagram, there is a connector at the airbag control module, and at the instrument panel, but there are also additional connectors in the harness between the two. A bad connection in any of these could lead to the light remaining on.
Attached Thumbnails
Airbag light stays on-ab-small-.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Yup, I got here in THAT!

Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM
The airbag warning light in the instrument panel is a "system fault" light, whereas the passenger airbag on/off light is a status light.

Here's what the FSM suggests as possible causes of the airbag warning light staying on:

Airbag warning light is faulty (this relates to the light's logic circuitry in the instrument panel).
Airbag control module to airbag warning light circuit is shorted or open.
Grounding circuit is faulty.
Airbag control module is faulty.
Connection of (AB1) and (B31) is improper.
Connection of (AB6) to airbag control module is improper.

The first thing to do is to check for trouble codes. I believe that the Subaru Select Monitor or a similar code reader capable of communicating with the airbag control module is needed, therefore necessitating a visit to the dealer. The airbag DTCs are 2-digit codes. If no code is detected, then there is a sequence of tests that can be done to check for one of the above causes. Some of these appear to require a special test harness.

As indicated in the diagram, there is a connector at the airbag control module, and at the instrument panel, but there are also additional connectors in the harness between the two. A bad connection in any of these could lead to the light remaining on.
That's the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much. On our adventures through Colorado's back country we've gotten the car wet and dirty multiple times, so it is possible a connector or two could be dirty. I'll go through them before I take it to the dealer. Two more questions though; 1) Is it dangerous to drive around with the light on? 2) Is that covered by the mandatory "safety" warranty (like seat belts)?

Respect The Wagon!
Don't Fear the Dirt!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Two more questions though; 1) Is it dangerous to drive around with the light on? 2) Is that covered by the mandatory "safety" warranty (like seat belts)?
I don't think it is dangerous to drive that way (other than the distraction of the light and the fact that it might mean the airbags will not deploy when needed). But you might want to check what it says in the Owners Manual.

Not sure if it's covered by the mandatory safety warranty.

Be careful when checking the connectors -- you wouldn't want to trigger an airbag inadvertently. That's why checking for trouble codes is the first thing to do -- it helps point to the problem area. The service manual has a prescribed sequence for this . . .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 231161 airbag warning light failure 40.pdf (53.3 KB, 2118 views)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Yup, I got here in THAT!

Just came across this: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ag-light-4143/ It's for a Forester, but I'll check it anyways. My wife likes to slide her seat all the way back (I dunno why, she's shorter than me) so I always have to slide it forward to my liking. Who knows, that might be messing up the connectors under the seat (if any)?

Btw, I'm not too concerned about it. Subaru has assured me that if the light is on, the airbags won't deploy.

Respect The Wagon!
Don't Fear the Dirt!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

when a system light is on it's typically rendered useless (except the check engine light/ECU!). ABS, SRS, are all inoperable if the light is on.

If the light is on you just need the code. You can read it yourself or have the dealer pull it for you. I've done it before and it wasn't hard nor did it require any special tools...but I don't recall the process either. Here's a link I have saved. I don't know if it applies or even if it's the procedure I used to read the codes but it gives the basic idea of how it's done (it's easy):
http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/Sub...-75-Legacy.php

The connectors are always yellow for SRS (airbag) system components. They are very annoying to separate (that's an understatement), you may have no clue how to remove it. Probably no need to anyway, just a visual should do. The underseat connector is easily accessible and the seats arent' hard to remove at all. It's supposed to be hung up under the seat. the rest are mostly covered and inaccessible without some plugging around.

Still under warranty?
grossgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yup, I got here in THAT!

Sitting at 46K miles/2 1/2yrs. It's out of the 36K bumper to bumper warranty but I'm curious whether the SRS is covered under some federal law. I do recal that my 03 Nissan has 10yrs/100K on the safety and restrains components (36K/3yrs b2b). Isn't there something similar with the Subarus?

Wonder if anybody has any more info on the DIY SRS diagnosys (code check)?

Respect The Wagon!
Don't Fear the Dirt!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2005 Outback H6

You can pull cel codes with the procedure in this thread. It might not work for the airbag codes but its worth a shot. Hardest part is getting the taped connector down the first time. Hope it works out for you.

Edit: Sorry guy actually forgot to include the link

06-09: How To Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
ghghhghg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Very simple process, guess the hard part is just finding the plug. From the last, 97 Subuar I did this on:

Reading the codes was really easy actually once you decipher the Rosetta stoneish manual also known as the FSM and realize by "DIAG CONNECTOR" they really just mean a bare pin that's taped up and unseeable and not labeled like all the other connectors in the FSM making it unrecognizable - the others all have specific, traceable labels like B82 and such - the B81 DIAG CONNECTOR is lacking in details and info like all the rest.

There's a 6 pole pin connector up under the cover below the steering wheel - sort of "above the gas pedal" next to the center console side of the drivers foot well area. there's a few dangling plugs there, two green plugs, a black plug or two...woah there's a hummingbird 8 feet from me, cool - and a bunch of connectors. The black 6 pole connector (2 on top 4 on bottom) is your money maker. Only had three wires going to it (but that could differ slightly based on options probably).

Grounding the blue wire (top left facing it) spits the code out on the AirBag light. There are two diagnostic connectors - they are just pins and taped to the same harness that plug is on - pull the tape and those pins are exposed and you can use them to ground it. Without the pins you can just ground it yourself.

The grounding pin is provided by Subaru, just untape and ground it.
The FSM would certainly list where the connector/pin is if you have that and it's different from my description.

Quote:
Originally posted by SubaCool
Wonder if anybody has any more info on the DIY SRS diagnosys (code check)?
Other than finding the connector/pin to ground is there something else you don't understand?

It's actually really simple. Ground pin, count flashing lights, just like it says. Nothing to it really...except finding the connector.
grossgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 06 OBW 2.5i auto

My wife's 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i (automatic) is giving us an intermitent AIR BAG light. During the lamp test when you first turn on the ignition, all lamps EXCEPT the OFF indicator LED (lamp) for the Passenger Air Bag work. I have seen the OFF indicator glow faintly at times. It used to work.

I just had my car the the stealer for the first time last week for the emissions recall to reprogram the ECU. This started after that. The car has 90k on it. I think it's just a coincidence. I don't want to give them $100 to scan my car.

I've looked for the B81 connector and I'm not finding it. Near one of the harnesses near the steering column, there is a multi pin white connector. I don't want to ground the wrong thing and blow an airbag or short something out. I have the service manual on CD and I've been scouring it for info on this. My OBD II scanner shows no codes. I did the ignition, headlight, trip odometer push button game and did get that to work. No codes. I need to know how to get the AIR BAG fault indicator to false me the 2 digit codes. Unless someone here knows of a common defect in the passenger indicator. Maybe I've got a bad solder joint on the board for that indicator.

I had my wife sit in the passenger seat, put on the belt and we got the ON indicator to come on. The passenger seat beat indicator works also. The owners manual for the car says the pass. air bag should either light up as ON or OFF. With no one in the seat, we get nothing.

Please help!
vwzapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: