Indicators for bad water pump? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1998 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Indicators for bad water pump?

Hi all,

For the past couple of nights after I get home and out of the car I smell a little coolant.

So last night I looked down under the car and there is indeed coolant on the ground, but only a bit. I checked the hoses and they were fine.

Now I've heard that with a bad water pump it could start leaking, is this true? and does it only leak when the car is running?

Keep in mind, it is a slow leak and after I park the car it stops leaking. And the car isn't overheating.

Thanks for all help!
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Many water pumps have a weap hole, so that when the pump fails, it will begin to slowly leak coolant. I can't verify if the Subaru water pumps are this way, but I know my GMC Sierra was, and so are both of my motorcycles.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Others who have actually changed a water pump might know if there is a specific weep hole on the lower side, but this pictorial for the 2005-9 series doesn't show one. Coolant that gets past the seal (3) and through the bearing (2) would come out from under the pulley (1).

Coolant leaks can be almost anywhere there are joints or seals where coolant flows. Assuming the water pump is the source might be premature, and costly.

It's probably best to examine the underside of the engine to try to trace exactly where the coolant is coming from. This might require removing the plastic under-engine cover, if the car has one. Coolant will often leave a damp trail which can make finding the source easier. Sometimes cleaning the engine will also aid in finding the leak. And yes, whatever it is, it could leak when the engine is hot and the cooling system is under pressure, but not when it cools down.
Attached Thumbnails
Indicators for bad water pump?-water-pump.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1997 SVX Bordeaux 2012 OBW 6 speed 1992 SVX Ebony 1992 SVX Claret

If it's the water pump leaking you'll see the coolant running along the bottom of the timing belt covers and dripping down. That's what mine did anyways.
Blacky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 1998 OBW 5spd/170k

my 98 had a bad waterpump, it has the weephole, but it didnt start showing coolant anywhere for a couple of months.

you should keep in mind that when you change the WP, you might as well do the timing belt and anything associated with that part of the engine while your there.
d0sitmatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 1997 SVX Bordeaux 2012 OBW 6 speed 1992 SVX Ebony 1992 SVX Claret

Quote:
Originally posted by d0sitmatr
my 98 had a bad waterpump, it has the weephole, but it didnt start showing coolant anywhere for a couple of months.

you should keep in mind that when you change the WP, you might as well do the timing belt and anything associated with that part of the engine while your there.
Good point, I did those as well.
Blacky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: