brought in for cat recall... new code found (P0028?) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default brought in for cat recall... new code found (P0028?)

So I brought my car in for the cat recall that seems to be going on (CEL on for a while because of it), and they found another code... P0028.

I did a quick search here, and someone mentioned that a solenoid was loose that gave them this code (as well as P0026, which I wasn't told I have?). the dealership service guy told me it's a $1000 fix to replace a suspected fault oil valve (or somethign like that... I dont' have the exact wording here).

any suggestions what to do? I'm going to bring it to Autozone to get the codes read again just to make sure... but the service guy said that it was a critical fix that needed to be taken care of very soon.

thanks for suggestions... and Hi, I'm new here.
Hextall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05' OB 2.5i

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...e-p0028-60853/
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Welcome to the forum.

A quick suggestion: Include the year and model of your car (& engine, transmission) with the post or in the permanent info in the left column. Helps focus . . .

As indicated in the linked thread, the P0028 is a code related to the variable valve lift system, namely:

DTC P0028 INTAKE VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID CIRCUIT
RANGE/PERFORMANCE (BANK 2)

P0028 is one of the diagnostic trouble codes that will turn the CEL on as soon as it is detected. If the problem goes away on its own, it will clear the CEL after three consecutive driving cycles without the fault showing up. The code itself will be stored in the ECM memory for 40 consecutive driving cycles without a recurring fault. (In both cases, provided the codes are not cleared from memory.)

The troubleshooting procedure involves first checking the wiring to the solenoid to make sure it isn't open or shorted. (This seems to be a possibility in the Forester link) Then the code is cleared and the car started at idle (only). If the code returns, the solenoid has to be replaced. (Perhaps the dealer already did the initial testing and eliminated the wiring as a cause).

There are two solenoids, one on each side of the engine. I'm not sure which is Bank 1 and which is Bank 2. The one on the RHS (passenger) is at the back of the head, and the one on the LHS is at the front of the head. The solenoid valves themselves are quite accessible; however, for some reason, the service manual requires the solenoid valve holder to be removed as well, and on the LHS this entails removing the timing belt, left cam sprocket and rear timing belt cover. (Perhaps the solenoids and the valve holders have to be replaced together, otherwise it seems to me the solenoid valve itself could be replaced with far less work.)

Depending on your year and mileage, this might be covered under the drive train warranty.

You could have the code cleared and see if the CEL comes on again, although I suspect that if the dealer was concerned, it might have done this as well.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Subuaru Legacy Outback 2.5 Limited

Hi!

I just had the same thing yesterday. I took into dealership to have ECM reflashed due to recall notice I received. As soon as I got it back and started it in the dealership, it had a rough idle and driving it not even a block later it did not feel right. My CEL came on and I took it back. They said the flash probably did not take and said they did it again. It drove fine after the reflash, yet hours later it came back on. I stopped and someone checked the codes at Autozone and it said P0028.

At 72k miles, I had never had a CEL light except until after I had the ECM flashed by dealership. I wonder if this is related or if its a coincidence. Being Saturday and they are closed, I hope its a easy fix and cheap fix. I do have the gold warranty to 100k yet find it odd it messed up when took it in. I hope they don't try to stick me with the bill (unless really a coincidence.) Any ideas if flash could cause this or if covered under warranty?

Thanks! Have a great holiday weekend!

Chris
2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4sp Auto
DJStacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

It could be an unlucky coincidence, or something in the reflash.

Was the recall notice you refer to WVU-31, the reprogramming for cold weather emissions reduction when the car is restarted after a short stop?

I've been watching the forums for reports on this reflash to see if there are any downsides and so far your's is the first report of problems (if it is this reflash).

There's several versions of the reflash, some for engines that don't have the variable valve lift mechanisms. There's always the possibility that the wrong program was used, although if it was done a second time that shouldn't have happened again. The dealer could have a bad copy, but then this will show up by others having the same problem.

Your gold warranty, which I believe is a 100% coverage, probably includes the VVL solenoid, but the dealer should be able to confirm this. In any event, I guess you will have to let them figure out what is happening, that is, program error or a faulty solenoid. Let us know how it turns out.

p.s. I've started a thread for reports of noticeable effects of the WVU-31 reflash. (WVU-31 reflash recall -- any negative effects?)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: