cooling fan relay - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cooling fan relay

check engine light recently came on, and garage tells me that it's the cooling fan relay. they couldn't find the problem, though i don't think they spent a lot of time trying to find the issue. i assume the fans are working - the car is not overheating. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy 2.5L 4EAT
So I'm guessing the OBDII code was one of these:

P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Circuit Low Input (my vote)
P0483 Cooling Fan Function Problem

Turn on the A/C and make sure both fans come on. Could be fuse (just replace, look in owners manual for where it is). Did they change the relay? Also make sure the fans are connected and that there is no corrosion on the connector (will need to disconnect the connector at the fan and use a flashlight to see how it looks). There is a small tab on the connector that has to be moved to disconnect the connector.

Let us know what you find

Year and car model would help too
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by miker104
So I'm guessing the OBDII code was one of these:

P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Circuit Low Input (my vote)
P0483 Cooling Fan Function Problem

Turn on the A/C and make sure both fans come on. Could be fuse (just replace, look in owners manual for where it is). Did they change the relay? Also make sure the fans are connected and that there is no corrosion on the connector (will need to disconnect the connector at the fan and use a flashlight to see how it looks). There is a small tab on the connector that has to be moved to disconnect the connector.

Let us know what you find

Year and car model would help too

Yes - it was the P0480 code. The garage didn't touch anything, as far as I know. I've got a '98 OBW by the way.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Relay

You could bypass the relay to check the main fan. If you short the rear two connectors (from the position of looking to the rear while opening up hood). There are four relays, front to back the first is main fan, second AC fan, third not sure but manual mentioned linked to one of the fans, 4th AC compressor clutch. The strange issue on this one is the shorting did not work for the AC fan, I had to splice into the positive lead on the fan itself (the ground is through the connector plug to the fan). Put cheap fuse blocks on the lines to prevent fires. Shorting works for the AC compressor clutch though. Not sure if this helps in terms of the ECU, but could help in finding bad relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0066.jpg
Views:	7870
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	15330  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: