99 Legacy Outback won't start - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 99 Legacy Outback Wagon 35th Anny Edition
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 99 Legacy Outback won't start

I have a couple of issues with my Outback but 1st things 1st.

I got in the car this evening and tried to start it and got no response. Everything else works: lights, radio, fan, etc. But when I engage the ignition nothing happens. Not even a click.

My first thought is a blown fuse but they all look fine. I pulled the fusible link and all the interior lights went out. So apparently it still works.

I checked the battery cables and they look fine and the negative cable is firmly connected to the post by the starter.

Any other ideas?
NHOutbacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Default Re: 99 Legacy Outback won't start

Quote:
Originally posted by NHOutbacker
I have a couple of issues with my Outback but 1st things 1st.

I got in the car this evening and tried to start it and got no response. Everything else works: lights, radio, fan, etc. But when I engage the ignition nothing happens. Not even a click.

My first thought is a blown fuse but they all look fine. I pulled the fusible link and all the interior lights went out. So apparently it still works.

I checked the battery cables and they look fine and the negative cable is firmly connected to the post by the starter.

Any other ideas?
Not sure if you have an AUTO or not, but make sure that the gear lever is pushed all the way up to the PARK position. Sometimes, if you do not push it up all the way, the car will not start.

Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
8kGoodENuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

It's an Auto so I tried pushing the gear into PARK. Still no luck. Even tried wiggling it through the gears but to no avail.

I don't think that it's a problem with the battery since I don't even see a dim in the lights when the ignition is engaged.

I'm starting to think there may be a break in the line to the starter. But it all started so soon. I was driving the car this afternoon and then, only a couple hours later, it wouldn't start.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 2.5i

Try starting in Neutral (N). The safety switch will allow you to start in N or P, and sometimes on the P part goes bad.

If you have an alarm system, that is also a suspect.
ron917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2001 LL Bean, 1997 2.5L 5spd

I had a problem start suddenly in my 2001 LL Bean. When I turned the ignition, nothing happened. Then I noticed that when I turned the key, everything went dead, and when I released the key the dash clock had reset. That's when I figured there was a bad connection to the battery somewhere. I pulled both terminals and scrubbed them with a wire brush, and everything worked fine again.

My other suspects would be the aforementioned park switch and perhaps the ignition switch. If you have an oem security system, find the button under the dash near the hood release lever, then hold it down for a few seconds while the key is in the ignition and turned to ACC. That will reset it.
KarlGustav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies. I learned a few secrets that I may have to use in the future.

I have the standard Suburu security system but I couldn't find any reset switches. So I figured I would just disconnect the battery for a while. That did not work either. So I followed the positive cable to the starter solenoid and checked connectivity there and that tested out fine (0 ohms). I disconnected the positive cable from the battery and from the solenoid to do that. And lo, what did I find? The ignition cable was disconnected from the solenoid. Duh!

It must have come loose while I was diagnosing some transmission problems* (the two connectors above the tranny). Plugged the cable back in and put back all the other parts and it all works.

Thanks again for your help. This is an awesome forum.

*If I start getting AT Oil Temp and P0748 errors I'll be back here again.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by NHOutbacker
First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies. I learned a few secrets that I may have to use in the future.

I have the standard Suburu security system but I couldn't find any reset switches. So I figured I would just disconnect the battery for a while. That did not work either. So I followed the positive cable to the starter solenoid and checked connectivity there and that tested out fine (0 ohms). I disconnected the positive cable from the battery and from the solenoid to do that. And lo, what did I find? The ignition cable was disconnected from the solenoid. Duh!

It must have come loose while I was diagnosing some transmission problems* (the two connectors above the tranny). Plugged the cable back in and put back all the other parts and it all works.

Thanks again for your help. This is an awesome forum.

*If I start getting AT Oil Temp and P0748 errors I'll be back here again.
Glad to hear that the problem was solved

Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
8kGoodENuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: