Sputter no Start 2002 OB 3.0 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Sputter no Start 2002 OB 3.0

Hi All,

My OB seems to have frozen up in a cold snap here in NC. I was getting cranking but no firing at all.

The temps are up now but she still wont start.

Cranks strong, sputters for a second then dies.
I replaced the fuel filter - cheapest and most obvious part.

Is the pressure regulator next or maybe the fuel pump?

Thanks for helping!
Tom
nc_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

If you're comfortable doing it, check for flow after the filter where it connects to the fuel rail inlet.

Not sure if the 6's have a schrader valve like most other cars do where you can check with a fuel pressure gauge, my 2 doesn't.

Doesn't take much moisture to cause havoc when frozen in a fuel system, any chance of pushing it somewhere warmer ?

If not, maybe get a hair dryer and warm up the fuel lines.

Once you get it started, might want to put some HEET in the tank to dry up the water.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Hi, I got the thing started again, here's my best guess..

When it got so cold, I think that condensation froze in the catalytic converter and essentially plugged up the exhaust.

I had a friend squirt starter spray into the air intake (disassembled the air box) which caused the engine to catch for a few seconds. We did that a few times until it would run at high rpm but not idle. White smoke was billowing out the back - scared me, I thought I cracked the head or something. After a little bit, the smoke cleared and the car would run.

Since my wife takes a lot of short trips, I figure that the exhaust system had some water built up and the super cold temps (not above freezing for 2 weeks) caused the it to freeze in the cat and clog things up.

I let it idle for about an hour then took it for a drive. It struggled initially but a few hot laps around the block and it was back to normal. Whew.
nc_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: