cv boot repair costs? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default cv boot repair costs?

a few months ago i bought an 05 OBW, my main mechanic checked it out before the buy and found the "left inner boot" had a tear or crack and i got the dealer to fix it before i bought it. i put that in quotes because that's how they said it, and i'm car-part illiterate.

i've felt, only on a few occasions, a vibrating sensation from the brake peddle when it's pressed. when i lift up, it goes away. this has happened maybe 5 times since i bought it.

yesterday i smelled a burning rubber smell from the front, couldn't tell where exactly. took it to the mechanic and they said the "left cv axel boot" was cracked or ripped and throwing some grease out, which might cause a smell.

cost is $250-275 to make this repair. is that about right? i like this shop, it's near my work and i drop off and walk to work. i'm dealer-averse, because i feel like they will overcharge (had that feeling from ford dealers). should i have gone to the subaru dealer?

thanks.
marc
marcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy 2.5L 4EAT

Usually its the Right side boot that goes and pukes grease on to the exhaust. Are they just going to replace the boot? Changing the boot or whole axle is about the same labor.

I would suggest that you think about replacing the whole axle with a MWE Re-manufactured unit:

http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/

There have been a number of reports of aftermarket axles causing vibrations at idle (Auto Trans).

or use a remanufactured unit from Subaru (2-3 times the MWE cost).

Wonder why the dealer said they fixed the left side and its the left side again? There are two boots per axle.

The pulsating when you apply the brake pedal is usually warped brake rotors and probably not related to the axle.
miker104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon

miker104, i apologize for not reading this until now (i didn't receive an email notification about your post).

thanks for the link! and the tip about the brakes.

i might've misspoke, the left inner boot was found to be cracked, my mechanic said the dealer replaced the whole assembly (boots and axle), now it's the right side that spews grease, or was, maybe it's all gone now...

which brings up a new thing: we had about 8" of snow in columbia, south carolina (our first good snow in about 8 years), i had a blast driving around town! but i heard a vibrating rumbling sound from the right front... maybe that's the axle? now that the grease is all gone? i thought maybe it had something to do w/ the snow/ice, building up, but it makes the sound during turns now.

marc
marcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy 2.5L 4EAT

That noise could be snow or ice build up. Many here have reported similar issues when snow/ice first meet their Subie. Since you have already had the left side axle replaced due to the boot issue, I would suggest the same for the right side. Might as well have bot fronts at same condition. OEM or quality rebuilt axles generally last a long time. Some have reported vibration issues at idle with parts store axles in the AT cars.

Many here swear by MWE rebuilt axles or Subaru Remanufactured ones.

http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/index.html
miker104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '04 L.L. Bean H6 3.0

I'm in the same boat.
I took my '04 OBW to get the AC charged up & the oil changed.
While he had it up in the air, he noticed a little bit of grease on the rotor. He told me there was a pinhole lead on the boot on the drivers side.
I asked about replacing the boot, but he said it'd be just as cheap to replace the whole axle. When I asked if replacing the axle was difficult due to it being an AWD, he stated no. He told me the leak wasn't bad, but to keep an eye on it.
I'm no mechanic & have no idea as to how the AWD works. Was he stating the truth about ease of installation of the axle?
JGKC9AYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 2.5i

Replacing a CV axle in an AWD Subaru is no different than replacing an axle on a 2 wheel drive car. Only difference is there are 4 of them instead of 2 - one for each driven wheel.
ron917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: