2008 Outback Dies when put into reverse. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 outback, 2.5I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2008 Outback Dies when put into reverse.

Hello. I have a 2008 outback, the base model. it's been a good car, just over 50,000 miles on it. I have had a random problem over the past two months where when I start the car in the morning, even if I let it warm up for a long time, when I put it into reverse or right after I back out and put it into drive, it just dies. It always starts right back up for me and drives fine. I ran a can of sea foam and it got peppier but it didn't resolve this issue. About 15,000 miles ago I did a lot of maintenance (plugs, all fluids, air filter, etc) but it just started within the last 1000 miles or so. I have not changed the fuel filter as I don't think thats it and it's not time yet (depending on who you talk too of course)

I've checked all vacum lines, I have had no CEL's, and other than in the morning when it's cold, it never does it. Now it has been very cold here the last few months, but even after it's been running for 5 minutes or so and is warm, it still will do it.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?
rykertest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Running 5 minutes isnt warm, maybe try 15 (just as an experiment).

Can you back the car in and try the same thing in the morning except going forward?

One day just go forward and go to work. the next day go forward, reach the end of the driveway, and shift into reverse (amuse me).

I'm thinking this is electrical, but not sure.

BTW it is never too early to change a filter.

When it stalls does it just cut out, or does it stumble?

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by nipper
Running 5 minutes isnt warm, maybe try 15 (just as an experiment).

Can you back the car in and try the same thing in the morning except going forward?

One day just go forward and go to work. the next day go forward, reach the end of the driveway, and shift into reverse (amuse me).

I'm thinking this is electrical, but not sure.

BTW it is never too early to change a filter.

When it stalls does it just cut out, or does it stumble?

nipper
I have checked to see if it is only in reverse. It does it when I back out or when I just put it in drive and go forward. That was one of the first things I did. I wasn't thinking the filter could be it because other than in the morning like that, it never sputters or stalls or anything and runs great. It's a very short sputter. I put it in drive, and when I give it gas it either dies right away, or makes 2 (on average) very short sputter sounds and dies. It's a quick death. lol Nothing drawn out or dramatic.

When you say electrical, what are you thinking?

Thank you.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well i WAS thinking electrical, but the sputter just threw me off.

If this was my car i would throw a fuel pressure gauge on the car and see what it does in the morning. Purely electrical is a shutdown stall. A temp caused stall with a stumbke to me sounds like fuel delivery (i'm just throwing out ideas). I would look at the CTS, the fuel pressure regulator, Inhibitor switch. I am not confident on the CTS.

When you go R-N-D You are loading the engine, suddenly unloading it, then loading it again. Two things come into play. The fuel pressure regulator and the Inhibitor switch. Maybe when cold the inhibotr switch has an electrical issue that in warm weather is borderline ands never shows up. WHen cold it may have an open, so the car cant tell it is in gear, doesnt adjust the fuel supply as needed, then you stall.

As soon as the tranny warms up and warms up the switch, the issue goes away. I'm liking this.

nipper
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Well i WAS thinking electrical, but the sputter just threw me off.

If this was my car i would throw a fuel pressure gauge on the car and see what it does in the morning. Purely electrical is a shutdown stall. A temp caused stall with a stumbke to me sounds like fuel delivery (i'm just throwing out ideas). I would look at the CTS, the fuel pressure regulator, Inhibitor switch. I am not confident on the CTS.

When you go R-N-D You are loading the engine, suddenly unloading it, then loading it again. Two things come into play. The fuel pressure regulator and the Inhibitor switch. Maybe when cold the inhibotr switch has an electrical issue that in warm weather is borderline ands never shows up. WHen cold it may have an open, so the car cant tell it is in gear, doesnt adjust the fuel supply as needed, then you stall.

As soon as the tranny warms up and warms up the switch, the issue goes away. I'm liking this.

nipper
hhmm....that all sounds expensive. lol I've never used a fuel pressure gauge and don' tknow how to proceed with that, any advice or a tutorial link? Should I change the fuel filter or is that a waste ?(I mean a waste to solve this problem)

The sputter is hardly there just so I am clear. There is a tiny stall and then nothing. It's a very very quiet and quick death. It's almost as if it is just not on, but just enough of a quick stutter to force me to mention it. If that matters in your thinking process at all.

If this was electrical, what were you thinking it would be? I was pondering a sensor of some sort but I've never had a CEL and it only does it in the morning so far when it's cold.

I've had this car for 2 winters and this is the first time it has done this. So while I don't think my warming up habits changed since last winter, they may have on certain days and thus the random stalls. We are going to let it warm up for 15 minutes anyways to see if that solves the issue.

If you are able please clarify something. Does this stall mean something is wrong or could it just mean that I didn't let it warm up enough? More so, is the car supposed to be run for a certain length of time before leaving forst thing and I've just never done that or is it just easier on the car, like any other car to do so?

Thank you.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Im thinking the inhibitor swtich, which is (what we called) the neutral saftey switch. It hangs on the side of the tranny. It makes sense since it takes longer for the tranny case to warm up then anything else, and doesnt warm up at all with the car idling.

Get a used one to try it.

Modern cars are start buckle up and drive. No real warm up needed except to be easy on them for the first mile till the suspenion warms up.

nipper
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Im thinking the inhibitor swtich, which is (what we called) the neutral saftey switch. It hangs on the side of the tranny. It makes sense since it takes longer for the tranny case to warm up then anything else, and doesnt warm up at all with the car idling.

Get a used one to try it.

Modern cars are start buckle up and drive. No real warm up needed except to be easy on them for the first mile till the suspenion warms up.

nipper
Is this an expensive part? Is that a DIY type install or a plug and play type deal? Thank you for all your help.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Before you go out and buy a part, lets have someone else chime in and see if my logic works (I think it does). I would get a used one. I feel it something you can do.

nipper
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

I would tend to agree with Nippers rational on this.

At I too was thinking Coolant temp sensor, Throttle position sensor or maybe even The IAC was dirty and there was some Open loop air fuel mixture issue. After reading the conversation and the fact that it starts right back up an acts normally, I'm thinking electrical also.

I'm not sure when the Neutral safety switch is engaged when moving the lever, I'd have to see if I can find that out. The thing that seems odd is that the car dies going in to reverse so ... Is the neutral safety switch even actuated at that point ?

I'm ok with the switch warming up part, I'm also thinking that maybe it's just that whatever switch is causing the issue just needs to be actuated once to get it to make contact and then it's ok. This can be tested relatively easy by putting the key in the ignition in the morning, turning to acc position, foot on the brake, run the shifter through all the gears, back to park, then start, immediately shift to rev and see if it dies.

I do think it has something to do with Shift interlock system but like I said I'd have to look at the book and see what's involved. This is assuming that they didn't radically change anything In 08.

Not sure how mechanically inclined the op is but, most of the sensors are not horrible to access but it's a bit more complicated than changing an air filter.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The NSS in this car monitors the gear selector in every gear. It is not like the switch of old. I just got tired of typing inhibitor switch.

nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: