Subaru Outback Forums banner

Dang I think I got the wrong SeaFoam

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 ·
I wanted to clean my throttle body so I went and bought a bottle of SeaFoam, came home and only see instructions to do this with the SeaFoam Spray. So I'm assuming I can't do the throttle body without the spray can?

I'm pretty broke, only had enough money to put 6 gallons in so I only used 6 ounces of the seafoam. Should I just use the rest of it in gas, or try feeding it in through the PCV?

#2 ·
What, you got the engine treatment one?

Homepage - Sea Foam Sales Company

The spray foaming one is needed if you don't want to take it apart as the foam sticks to the parts better to break down the crap. The engine cleaner one is designed differently and not interchangeable.

I always recommend taking it apart anyway. Do you really want to shove all that loose crud through your intake, combustion, exhaust and cats?

#3 ·
By taking it apart what exactly do you mean? I was reading on here that you could put it in through the PCV valve but it wouldn't equally distribute it as well as spraying it into the intake through the butterfly valve.

Someone else brought a similar point in fouling up the sparkplugs and suggested I don't run it through any of the intake unless I plan on changing them afterward.

#4 ·
Removing the throttle body off the car and cleaning it.
That is the best way.

But look, let's try this again. Why are you trying to clean the throttle body?

Putting it in the PVC? #1 you need the right stuff. #2 you want to make sure that the PVC hose actually is upstream of the throttle body and cleaning what you want and not what you don't. MAP/MAF sensors don't like seafoam much.

If I already lost you? Then you need to do a lot more reading and watch some youtube on actual Subaru's. What works on a Ford might not work on a Subaru for example. I';m not saying give up. Just make sure you know what your doing before you start doing surgery.

#10 ·
Well @Peaty the great/noble / wise has not joined this little thread yet,...so what was I supposed to think.....(If you are going to complement someone you might toss a @ symbol out in font of their name).

where did Nova Blue come from?... a old Chevy? .like astronomy?

..Marvel comics (I think there is both a male and a female character,...but am not sure)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.