My crank pulley ate my timing belt cover! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My crank pulley ate my timing belt cover!

I noticed my AC had stopped working on my way back from an out of town trip. Didn't think a whole lot of it, maybe it needed another charge, but I didn't look into it that night after six hours of driving.

The next day I hear a weird whap whap whap noise when I started the car. Didn't check under the hood until I got to work, and saw the AC belt had partially shredded and wedged itself behind the AC compressor pulley. I cut the belt off and was able to drive the car home.

It wasn't until I got home last night that I looked more closely, and realized the AC belt was the symptom and not the cause. It looks like my crank pulley has started to delaminate, and that outer grooved ring section has started to back off the inner hub. The outer section had worked its way about 1/4" into my timing belt cover, which shredded the AC belt. In the pics below you can see the crank pulley-shaped hole eaten into the TB cover, and on the overhead view you can really see how the pulley is out of alignment with the rest of the accessory pulleys.

Good thing, too, or I might not have investigated properly before it worked its way into the timing belt itself. Clearly this failure mode could have been catastrophic, especially had it occurred two days ago while I was out of town on the Interstate.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track as far as the crank pulley delaminating being the root cause? The crank snout, key, and front main seal in the pic below all look good, which seems to eliminate some of the scarier possibilities, like crank walk.

Thanks for looking. All suggestions, comments and commiseration are welcome!

Jim

PS, car specs:
2000 Outback Wagon, 2.5L SOHC, AT, 164k miles
Sylverius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

Looks like you hit the nail on the head. That elastomer ring breaks down over time and the pulley slips. Put a new pulley on and you should be good to go.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Yes, seems to be a symptom. Not sure why or how frequently it happens on Subies or on other cars (although my '76 chev 350 is still fine at 130k miles.) Here's a similar case of OB pulley delamination that was discussed here not too long ago:

Dropped my A/C belt. Is it the crank pulley?
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)

You know I came across that post earlier this morning when doing my initial research. The crank pulley in that pic further down on the first page looks a lot flatter than mine! I believe there was a link to another forum (might have been ORS) that showed a pulley completely delaminated too, as in two separate pieces.

That link was the first I'd heard of the issue, and it's what made me take a second look at my pulley and realize they aren't supposed to look like mine looks!

Financial impact looks like about $250 for the new pulley, new timing belt cover, and new upper and lower tb cover gaskets. Price quoted is from Subarupartsforyou.com, plus about $26 in shipping. Local Subaru wants $50 more than online, including offsets for tax and shipping.

I'm debating, but I think for now I'll plan on keeping my timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc. I replaced the TB on schedule at 105k, and I really don't want to take the hit for the water pump, belt, etc. right now. Anyone think that's crazy talk?

Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM
Yes, seems to be a symptom. Not sure why or how frequently it happens on Subies or on other cars (although my '76 chev 350 is still fine at 130k miles.) Here's a similar case of OB pulley delamination that was discussed here not too long ago:

Dropped my A/C belt. Is it the crank pulley?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Legacy OBW 2.5

I have a good used pulley you can have for cheap.
01caobw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto

I swapped mine out for a lightened pulley last fall. So I too have an OE pulley sitting in my garage taking up space that I'd be willing to part with.
2005 2.5i 4eat: One-click unlock mod; no more seat belt chime!; K&N drop in air filter; removed the huge resonator under the air box; map lights on with dome light mod; Group A lightweight crank pulley; General Grabber AT2s; RalliTek Spark Plug Wires

Moose05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, both of you, for the offers. See PM. My email's in my profile and is another good way to contact me.

Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Moose05
I swapped mine out for a lightened pulley last fall. So I too have an OE pulley sitting in my garage taking up space that I'd be willing to part with.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 1997 and 1999 Outbacks, 2.5L

I thought I was the only person this had ever happened to. I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this Outback forum since I've belonged. It happened about 5 years ago to my '96 Outback (R.I.P.), but it also trashed the water pump. Dumped all the coolant on the ground and left me stranded. Good thing you caught it early.
TheFixer253 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

This same thing happened to my 2005 legacy with 85,000 miles on it. The only difference is once it ate through the cover it caused the timing belt to jump! I am looking at new engine options now.

Is this common for the pulley to fall apart like that? If so, do you recommend I replace the new pulley that will be installed with my new engine?
thumbyqui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Another '05?

thumbyqui -- is your's a turbo (as in the link in post #3 above), or the normally-aspirated 2.5?

Common? There's been a few reported here, but as far as I can recall, most are older and higher mileage.

If the replacement engine is a used one, I'd probably change the pulley just to be sure. I also suggest marking the front face with a line from the center to the outer edge. (I used "white out" after cleaning the surface). This will allow easy inspection of the pulley whenever the hood is up. If the rubber starts to deteriorate, it's likely the outer ring will rotate around the inner, as much as move in or out, and this would be more apparent with the line.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: