Engine Pulleys - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Engine Pulleys

Our 2004 LL Bean with the V-6 has 53,000 miles on it. So far we have had a drive axle replaced, the sunroof won't work and we won't get it fixed for $1,600.00, the AC stopped working and they said it was not covered under extended warranty because the hoses cracked and caused all of the damage and since the hoses aren't covered under warranty, blah, blah, blah.

Now we are told the other CV boot is cracked ($250.00), and that the pulleys are going bad. I was told by two dealerships that this is a somewhat common problem on the V-6 because it has so much torque that the pulleys go bad.

I have 25 years experience working on cars, mostly fords and Nissans. We bought the subaru because of their reputation for reliability, now my wife is afraid to drive our two little kids around in it.

Are these common problems for an outback with 53,000 miles? I have driven in ones with over 200,000 that have had just the basic maintenance. We do all of our service through Subaru, my wife drives normally since she is usually driving with the kids, and half of the mileage is highway.

The only reason we have not traded it for something else is because it is paid off. I am I going to run into more of this?

Sorry, just stunned and frustrated that we have had so many problems in such a low mileage vehicle.
JDenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

What kind of climate do you live in?

The accessory pulley's is an issue with the H6, but it is not because of excessive torque. I would blame the engineering. Anyways, 53k seems low for that problem and they may just be fishing for things to do.

A cracked CV boot happens. The car is 6 years old.

Not sure what to say about the AC hoses.
Glennda5id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
Default Re: Engine Pulleys

Quote:
Originally posted by JDenver
Our 2004 LL Bean with the V-6 has 53,000 miles on it. So far we have had a drive axle replaced, the sunroof won't work and we won't get it fixed for $1,600.00, the AC stopped working and they said it was not covered under extended warranty because the hoses cracked and caused all of the damage and since the hoses aren't covered under warranty, blah, blah, blah.

Now we are told the other CV boot is cracked ($250.00), and that the pulleys are going bad. I was told by two dealerships that this is a somewhat common problem on the V-6 because it has so much torque that the pulleys go bad.

I have 25 years experience working on cars, mostly fords and Nissans. We bought the subaru because of their reputation for reliability, now my wife is afraid to drive our two little kids around in it.

Are these common problems for an outback with 53,000 miles? I have driven in ones with over 200,000 that have had just the basic maintenance. We do all of our service through Subaru, my wife drives normally since she is usually driving with the kids, and half of the mileage is highway.

The only reason we have not traded it for something else is because it is paid off. I am I going to run into more of this?

Sorry, just stunned and frustrated that we have had so many problems in such a low mileage vehicle.
Not common in my opinion.

I did have a small AC part replaced soon after I bought the car with 50k on it, but it was not a hose.

I'm in central NY so it's not all that hot all that often, but I'm at 120K now and still on (exempting consumables) original everything except plugs, 1 wheel bearing, and the bearings for the serpentine belt tensioner and idler.

The crankshaft pulley does not have a problem as far as I know, and having any problems with any pulleys from 'engine torque' is BS.

The pulley bearings are easy to change at cheap at napa- 6203-2rsj.

I wonder if this thing really has 53Kmiles.

If you are hearing consistent BS from the dealers, it's time to find a decent shop that knows subarus.

Was the 1st axle replaced due to the boot or wear?

What does the sunroof not do?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Sorry to hear all those happened in such short order. A few of those are sort of known issues. On the early H6's the A/c issue is usually the compressor rotation sensor. There is a TSB out about that and a Subaru dealership should (__should__) be familiar with it. Their story about the hoses cracking sounds like bs. There are a couple rubber hoses on the low side of the system but that is highly unlikley to the problem and it's an easy way for them to cop out.

The c/v joint boot cracking, yes that pretty much happens to the soobs eventually. It can be driven for a while like that it's just the stinky grease.

The pulleys - yes another known issue on the early H6's. There's an idler for the serpentine belt that was not up to the task long run. It's not an expensive part and good to do ahead of time to avoid being stranded.

Not sure on the sunroof, there are some TSB's out for sunroof related issues, could be one of those.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Car: 2005outback 2.5i
Default crankshaft pulley sucks on soobs

my 1998 outback at about 120 split the pulley without cause collateral damage. my 2005 split its pulley tossing the belts onto the a/c harness melting it. also burning through the timing belt cover. i have molded military wire harnesses for TOW rockets and know what a rubber to metal adhesion is and these pulleys have about 20% of the surface actually adhering. i re glued mine with J B WELD. other than that only oil,brakes and glass.
hunterlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

We live in Denver, so AC is used in the summer. The dealership actually made some adjustments to their report to the company that does the extended warranty and got most of the AC covered. The Sun roof will push open with hand and close with the switch but will not open with the switch. The front drivers side axle was apparently warped or bent due to a torn CV boot. I am pretty familiar with the CV boots, happens on anything with a CV joint, but to have the axle go out at under 50K at the time????

We have had the car since brand new and done all of the routine mantenance at the dealership in Littleton Colorado. When my wife goes in she gets an estimate for $2,000, when I call and let them know that I have been working on cars for 25 years as a hobby (although my wife is a stickler about having Subaru do all the work on her car) the price tag always drops.

Before the economy and car sales went to the crapper we had great service, they even gave us free parts on at least one occasion, now that they are relying on service to make their money everything is an issue.

I know that some of these are legitimate but others I have to question. I will never buy a Subaru again (except for maybe an STI :-)
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC

Seems pretty obvious...that dealership has marked you as a sucker, and they will take as much as they can until you figure it out.

If you've owned your 'Beaner for 6 years and think it has a "V-6", I can kinda understand why.

But you can take control if you want.

My advice....until you find a trusted mechanic in your neighborhood...just do the routine maintenance & inspections yourself.

It takes literally 5 minutes to jack the front and inspect your own CV boots. It takes another 5 minutes to open the hood, pull your engine cover and v-belt, and inspect the pulleys. 10 minutes total. Make it 30 minutes to allow for fumbles, dawdles, gawking, and tangential inspections.

$1600 for a sunroof repair is ridiculous. With 25 years of car experience, seriously, how much do you think it will cost to fix it yourself? Probably just a sticky mechanism. A little elbow grease plus a few pennies worth of real grease, and you're good to go.

-Jeff
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

I *wish* that sunroof problem had an easy fix. Mine is the same way, but it's not a big deal to live with it as it is.

In my case, the sunroof was ice free, I opened it, during a stop I didn't notice a piece of ice slid forwards and kept it from closing when I went to close the pop-up.

dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Seems pretty obvious...that dealership has marked you as a sucker, and they will take as much as they can until you figure it out.

If you've owned your 'Beaner for 6 years and think it has a "V-6", I can kinda understand why.

First off, the guy at the dealership called it a V-6, even a Buick engine, and like I said before my wife prefers to have subaru do the work on hers. I have rebuilt cars from the ground up, rebuilt engines, done performance mods, but as I said before don't know a lot specifically about this motor, forgive me if it is a an inline 6 but I am not a "sucker" by any means and we BOUIGHT HE SUBARU SO THAT I WOULDN"T HAVE TO WORK ON IT. If I don't know anything about cars I wouldn't know if these are common problems or what in most cases seem to be very unusual problems for any car let alone a subaru.

I know how to check a freaking CV boot, I have replaced them on other cars, I know that the sun roof is probably a simple fix but pulling out the headliner is the hard part, again especially when my wife is not too concerned about it and does not want me tearing into her car.

So my why not just call my wife a sucker and then I can kick you A$$ for picking on girls.

I came to this forum for help but you are about as much af a jerk off as the people at the dealership. What are you a subie tech or something?

I was doing research to find out if pulleys falling off on these engines is a common problem as mentioned by the dealership. I will go ahead and forward your post to subaru and see what they think of it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

So it is an H-6, woop de doo, forgive my total ignorance related to this engine. basically the same as a V-6 except the cylinders are opposing to reduce vibrations blah, blah, blah. Now why don't you tell me what a V-6 vs. H-6 has to do with the pulleys falling off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: