Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Problems & Maintenance (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/)
-   -   p0505/p0340/erratic idle/intermittent starting problem (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/24332-p0505-p0340-erratic-idle-intermittent-starting-problem.html)

pdxoutback96 04-20-2010 09:24 PM

p0505/p0340/erratic idle/intermittent starting problem

Hello all,
I've got a 96 outback 2.5L automatic transmission with about 150k and the CEL on. It has two problems: erratic idle and sometimes doesn't like to start. Originally, the OBD-II code the computer was spitting back was P0505 (IACV general). At that point the car was starting fine, but the idle was real erratic (if the car was started cold, it would begin idling around 1500 and begin to come down as it warmed with the rpm needle randomly twitching around 300 rpm in either direction). I followed a few old threads on this forum (you guys have been so helpful) and pretty much gave the car a tune up, as the car is new to me and I wasn't sure when the last time certain things were done. I got a new pcv valve, changed plugs (ngk), new fuel filter, and I've run a couple cans of seafoam through it and sprayed a lot of Deep Creep into the throttle body hoping it would make its way down to the IACV and clean it out. As a result of this, the idle has settled and I cleared the code this morning and everything was running fine until I stopped for a sandwich, and the car didn't want to start. It does this from time to time. It always starts in the morning when cold but sometimes when I stop for gas or groceries or even sandwiches it doesn't want to fire. But if I relax for five minutes or so it fires up and drives fine , although twice after a rough start the engine died after driving about 10 ft but it eventually started and drove fine. Anyway, today after it fired up and the CEL came back on I drove to Schuck's and used their computer and got a new code: P0340 (camshift position sensor A Circuit).

I've read a couple similar threads on here, but there was never any finality to the problem and from what I've read, replacing the camshift sensor may not be the fix. I guess I'm asking what would be your plan of action? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated, and thanks again for creating such an awesome forum!

nipper 04-20-2010 09:49 PM

Remove the IACV and clean it.

Nothing else will work, and a tuneup is always a good idea. replace the PCV valve too.

nipper

pdxoutback96 04-20-2010 09:53 PM

Will do. Ordering a new gasket now. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple days. Thanks for the help!

pdxoutback96 04-21-2010 07:45 PM

So far so good. Took the IACV off. Hammered the insides with throttle body cleaner. Air hosed it and hooked it back up. Car fires right up and although the initial rpms are a little higher than it was previously (probably needs a little adjusting), the idle settles right down and stays steady. Going to clear the code and see what happens. Thanks so much. Cheers.

dwebster0116 01-30-2012 08:55 PM

Hey everyone.. im new to this site and need some help.. I have a 98 subaru legacy outback that I did a 2.2 motor swap on... recently the car has been throwing a couple codes... most importantly the famous p0505.. how do I fix this... I have already swapped iac valves... the coolant temp sensor... and pcm .... I don't know what else to do... car is also throwing an evap code... could all this be related... what's ur thoughts?