Subaru Outback Forums banner

New 2000 Outback Limited Owner

695 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  patrikman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Finally got my hands on a 2000 Outback Limited wagon. Needless to say, I am very excited. :grin2: However, as it has just under 100,000 miles, I would like to get some maintenance items taken care of. I know that valve cover gaskets and a wheel bearing were replaced recently. Timing belt has not yet been done, nor have the head gaskets. I have an appointment at a shop to have the belt done.

I am mostly trying to get a list of things to do right now. So far I have:
Oil/filter
Transmission fluid and spin-on filter
Spark plugs
Diff fluids (front and rear)
PCV valve
Cabin air filter
Engine air filter
Fuel filter

Is there anything else I should do? Or anything that I am wasting my time doing? I would like to get this all done so that I have it on some sort of easy interval and I know I'm set for a little while.

I apologize if this has been covered in a different thread, I searched a little bit but I am not a patient man. Rest assured I am trying to work on that last part,. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
When you get the timing belt done be sure they replace all the pulleys and tensioner. It wouldn't help to put a new water pump in as well. Although they are pretty reliable, it is just easier to do when you are replacing the timing belt. Make absolutely certain without a shadow of a doubt that they use an OEM Subaru thermostat if they replace your existing one.

The OEM thermostat is larger and has a different opening temperature than most aftermarket T-stats, so the aftermarket ones don't do the job correctly. See pic.

#4 ·
Congrats, I used to have a '00 Limited in the dark Wineberry or whatever. Great car and I still miss it.

It might not be a bad idea to learn how to clean the sunroof drains, and go over the rear subframe area real good. They had a tendency to eat itself sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.