Subaru Outback Forums banner

Tuners Perspective: Maintenance for cars over 10yrs and older

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  HiPowerShooter 
#1 ·
Dear All:

After working on a number of vehicles over the last year or so as a tuner, the following are my suggestions for the maintenance of your vehicle. I think there are basic, yet will be complex to those performing it for what ever reason it maybe, but it will require you as the owner to understand and be persistent and chose the one who undertaking such service to be competent.

There is no order to the format of testing below.

1. Verify all vacuum hoses and hoses are in good shape and seal properly at their connections
  2. Perform a smoke test or a boost test on the intake system to 10psi or so, checking with soap water for bubbles. Another methods to locate leaks are applicable here
  3. Clean the maf sensor and make sure no leaks post maf tube. Don't be hesitant in getting the MAF sensor replaced
  4. Clean Throttle body and upper cylinder head
  5. Perform a compression test
  6. Perform a leak down test
  7. Clean AVCS Solenoids. If issues still exist (latency in operation), replace them
  8. Change AFR sensors
  9. Test exhaust headers carefully for leaks. Leaking header(s) cause pinging issues and poor performance from the car
  10. Replace plugs every 6-9months or 10,000+kms. Don't let the clean tip fool you. Those days are gone from the old plugs of before.
  11. Change oil every 3-6 months or 4800+kms . Use a good brand.

See less See more
#2 ·
a few points::smile2:

dollar stores have quart bottles of kids toy bubbles. this stuck in a spray bottle may work best. (vs. trying to find soap and mix it so it is actually designed to foam/ bubble maybe difficult without phosphates)

points 10 and 11 sound advantageous for those poking around in turbo cars only:
swapping spark plugs on N/A cars,...or changing oil in low miles cars sounds excessive. (but I have used full synthetics for 15 years, ...before that plain old dino oil only turns to black burnt thin crap for me after 1500 miles anyway,...steep grades here).

but yeah, NGK platinum plugs (or NGK Iridiums changed more often) ,...and 3750 snythetic oil changes unless one likes broke turbos cars.

#3 ·
Eh...#'s 10 & 11 are more dependent on mileage rather than calendar age. Changing plugs every "6-9 months" is a complete waste of money. I get 50K out of regular copper core NGK's in my Subaru and 100K out of Iridiums in my Silverado. 5k Dino OCI's are just fine...7k for Synth. Both my 00(247k) and my 01(269k) have lived a happy life and are still running strong using nothing but "whatever's on sale" 5/30 oil every 5-7k. I suppose if you have a turbo things are a little different...but 3k OCI's are wholly unnecessary unless your car sees severe service on a regular basis.

#4 ·
I need those bubbles. My daughter bubble gun bottles almost out. lol.

Yes the above depends on the environment you are in and how you used your car.

Usually when you start to smell the oil fumes in the exhaust, its time to change. Thats usually around 4800+kms.

Usually you start to feel the plugs a little off by 10,000kms. If fuel economy is key, especially cruising, then swapped. But one usually can survive up to 1yr on just normal plugs. All of this depends on getting to know your car as a result of how you drive her and what you use in her.

#6 ·
Usually when you start to smell the oil fumes in the exhaust, its time to change. Thats usually around 4800+kms.

What the ____ are you talking about?

I don't smell "oil fumes" in any of my exhaust's...and besides...what the ___ does that have to do with changing spark plugs?

DO NOT change your spark plugs every "6-9 months".
DO NOT change your spark plugs every year.
DO NOT change your spark plugs every two years.
DO CHANGE your spark plugs when you need to. Copper core...around 40-50Kmiles. Plats...80K. Iridiums? Forget you even know what a spark plug is for 100k...and then, you'll probably not need them either.

I REALLY don't know where the previous advice comes from. It's certainly not based in real world driving/maintenance routine of the average user.

I EASILY get 40k from a set of NGK copper core plugs in my Subaru. I EASILY get 80k from a set of NGK iridium plugs in my Chevy Silverado.
****...I get 15k out of a set of Champions in a 45 year old British MGB still running points and dual carbs.

#8 ·
Guys,

West isn't off here.

Consider what he does, consider why you would use his services, and consider more maintenance would be required at that point. He is a knowledgeable and respected member and vendor.

For all you causal daily drivers looking to do as little maintenance as possible, this doesn't really apply to you.

West, here in America we start looking at what we can skip on a 10 year old car. It's not about making it last. We have more cars than people here so they are basically disposable at or around 10 years...well not for everyone.
Your advice is sound. Thanks for you contributions here!

#9 ·
Allow me to add some info here. Remember I reference cars 10 years and older. In fact I would go as far to say cars 2007 and older. Please remember wear and tear on such cars that age.

Here is Subaru references and you can search more for others. Please just don't post for posting sake.

You do what you need to do when it comes to it. In the end, you should know your vehicle. What I posted is a bases and a starting point. In my line of business I can tell when a car of age comes to me.

Subaru Car Care, Cleaning, Upkeep, Maintenance Tips

Subaru Drive : Modes of Operation: Engine Oil, Maintenance, and Warnings (fall13)

#11 ·
Replace plugs every 6-9months or 10,000+kms. Don't let the clean tip fool you. Those days are gone from the old plugs of before.
I'm all about excess preventive maintenance, but changing plugs at 6k miles is insane. For plugs, what really matters is the sparking surface (sharp edge, correct gap) - even for copper plugs in the engines that most folks run on this board, they'll probably still be looking pretty new at 6k miles! Platinum or iridium will last longer still.

#12 ·
IF you're needing to replace them that often in a modern ECM/HEI engine, you've got other issues. Plain ole $1.99 NGK's should last a MINIMUM of 40k miles in a Subaru engine. Plats...double. Iridium...unless there's a failure, forever. Like I said. I pulled a set of Iridium plugs out of my 08 Silverado at 100k and they looked as good as "new". Replaced the wires, Re-installed the plugs and it's still running strong at 152k.

1-9 are not "bad" advice. Most are wholly unnecessary unless there's a sign of trouble...but won't hurt. It's your time and money.

I don't know another mechanic who'd recommend replacing plugs that often in any street driven car though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.