Subaru Outback Forums banner

Burning Rubber smell - CV Joints?

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Racer 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Outback which occasionally exhibits a burning rubber smell. In regular driving there's nothing, but when I turn while in-gear there's a scent of burning rubber. The tighter the turn, and the more gas I give the car through the turn, the stronger the smell - speed doesn't appear to be a factor. Otherwise, the turning and driving feel smooth.

From what I've read, this sounds like a leaking CV joint in need of a boot replacement, which should run around $300.

Does this sound correct to you fine folks of the forum?

Cheers,
Kernal

#2 ·
Yep, you're on it. Burning rubber smell = check your inner CV boots for being split and slinging grease onto the hot exhaust. Have you checked the inner CV boots yet? Pretty easy to do... if you lift the front end of the car and let the suspension hang in the "down" position, the splits in the boots will show up loud and clear.

The inner OEM boots on my '06' let go at about 85k/8 years. Consider re-booting yourself... not that hard to do if you have some mechanical know how.

If you have someone else do it, make sure they just re-boot the OEM axle... do not let them throw a cheap aftermarket axle on your car!

#4 ·
My '05 Legacy wagon has given off a burning rubber smell since new. Usually most noticeable when driving in heavy snow, or when climbing steep grades and really getting after it on the curves.

The dealer says they could not reproduce the condition so there was nothing they could do (go figure).

I have just over 125,000 miles on the car now. The CV joint boots look great, and there is no sign of grease leaking at all. It still makes the smell, under the same conditions as when new.

As long as the car keeps running great I guess there is nothing to complain about, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.