Subaru Outback Forums banner

sounds like a rattle can.

935 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rasterman 
#1 ·
06 outback base model, 105,xxx miles 2nd owner. Been driving the car for the past 2 months now. Noise from the front suspension is driving me nuts. It sounds like a rattle can up front.

Took off the tires and inspected the endlinks on the sway bar, look fine to me, I wondering if it could be the upper strut cups????

#3 ·
can you record the sound and upload it,...possibly to youtube and link it here?

....wheel bearings can make many a odd sound. a brake pad separating can make some odd popping noises too. tire getting out of round, or lost a wheel weight.

#4 ·
It's not wheel bearings brake pads or tires out of round. Mostly when the car goes over bumps or uneven pavement. I swear it could be the struts the upper mounts to them or the endlinks. It definitely suspension related. My wife's Saturn Aura is doing the same thing.

#5 ·
plusable to knee some struts at 106,000 miles,...but I would hope you would have found some drips off what looks like dirty water, but is the hydraulic fluid from weak struts.

maybe its GM cooties,... and you should wash and detail the subaru and not park it anywhere near that old Saturn,....

if they keep being parked together,...I wonder if you are going to get a wimpy ignition switch in your subaru.

#8 ·
The Subaru is parked next to the GM Aura. The Aura is my wife's car, although she does drive it like she is on the Autobahn all the time. It's an XR fully loaded 1 year only with the Caddy CTS 3.6 liter 6 spd auto with paddle shifting. That car has nuts, handles like its on rails & goes like a bat out of ****. Honestly have done Nothing to it other than do routine maintenance & an alignment. It just started to rattle like my Subie within the last 2 weeks. Will look into the endlinks on that one.

The Subaru also started to rattle but it passed it on this time to the Saturn 1st! I'm hoping with both cars it's just endlinks although I would love to "adjust" the suspension to a better ride on my Subaru. ?.

#10 ·
You can have a sway bar end link nut 1/4 turn too loose and it will sound like rocks in a coffee can. And once the links go bad, tightening won't help.

It surprised me the first time I dealt with it. Nothing at all looked out of place, but just a little extra torque on the end link fasteners and it silenced right out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.