Remote Starter Problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Remote Starter Problem

I recently purchased a 2008 Outback that came with the Subaru remote starter upgrade. When I press the remote starter button the car acts like its trying to start (the electronics turn on and the dashboard lights up and the dials all max out and then drop to zero etc). This happens four times and then the car turns back off. During this time the engine never kicks in or turns over. I've checked to make sure the starter is in the "active mode" and not in the "standby mode". Is there something I'm overlooking or might the starter be damaged? Thanks!
lancesteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

Strange! If you can still get the car started WITHOUT using the remote, meaning with just the ignition key, then your problem is in the remote start system installed in the car. Sounds like you'll have to take the car to someone who installs remote starters or the dealership for a diagnosis. Good Luck!
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro

My OEM one is 2007 ... should be same with 2008 ... check if you can find a Remote Start quick reference card in the glove box.

Check if it is in "Service Mode" thus no starting ...

* TO ENGAGE SVC MODE - turn the ignition key to ON or RUN position, depress and hold the brake pedal, then press and release the START button on the remote control tranmitter three (3) times. The system will pause for one second and then flash the parking lights three (3) times indicating the system is in service mode.

* DISENGAGE SVC MODE - turn the ignition key to ON or RUN position, depress and hold the brake pedal, then press and release the START button on the remote control transmitter three (3) times. The system will pause for one second and then flash the parking lights ONE (1) time indicating the system has EXITED service mode.
bigdadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 04 STI, 07 OBW

good info
indytruckboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadi View Post
My OEM one is 2007 ... should be same with 2008 ... check if you can find a Remote Start quick reference card in the glove box.

Check if it is in "Service Mode" thus no starting ...

* TO ENGAGE SVC MODE - turn the ignition key to ON or RUN position, depress and hold the brake pedal, then press and release the STRAT button on the remote control tranmitter three (3) times. The system will pause for one second and then flash the parking lights three (3) times indicating the system is in service mode.

* DISENGAGE SVC MODE - turn the ignition key to ON or RUN position, depress and hold the brake pedal, then press and release the STRAT button on the remote control tranmitter three (3) times. The system will pause for one second and then flash the parking lights ONE (1) time indicating the system has EXITED service mode.
Thanks for the help. It was in SVC mode when I bought it but I disengaged the SVC mode after I realized the starter wasn't working. Its really bizarre that the starter kicks in but doesn't actually turn over the engine.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

If it is still not working, then you have to bring all your car keys to the dealer and do the programming of immobilizer again.

The OEM remote starter has a flexible ring type looped to the ignition key column, this serves as another key and need to be programmed with all your car keys in one process. My dealer charges me $40.00 for this job.

Plus there's a process to program the RPM before this immobilizer thing. The installation manual is at home. I will post tonight.

Check also in the engine compartment, there's a push switch covered with black rubber boot, installed on the passenger side in front of the right-front suspension. Make sure it is sitting there properly.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadi View Post
If it is still not working, then you have to bring all your car keys to the dealer and do the programming of immobilizer again.

The OEM remote starter has a flexible ring type looped to the ignition key column, this serves as another key and need to be programmed with all your car keys in one process. My dealer charges me $40.00 for this job.

Plus there's a process to program the RPM before this immobilizer thing. The installation manual is at home. I will post tonight.

Check also in the engine compartment, there's a push switch covered with black rubber boot, installed on the passenger side in front of the right-front suspension. Make sure it is sitting there properly.
I'll check these out. Thanks for the help BigDadi!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

lancesteel, have you figured out this problem? I have the exact same issue... I bought a 2008 Outback Limited, which had the wiring for the remote start. I got a remote on eBay, which I just successfully programmed to the car according to the owner's manual. I got all the right confirmation beeps/chirps.

But when I hit the remote start button, same thing... the doors lock, the dashboard lights up, the gauge needles do their full sweep and drop, and I can even hear the fuel system prime as I'm standing outside the car. But the started doesn't engage or turn over. The system will light up 4 times and quit.

I've checked the hood switch, and all the doors are closed. It's in park, handbrake is up, no key in the ignition, and it's not in service mode. (I engaged and disengaged it to be sure) I've reprogrammed the remote, just for kicks.
CTMechE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Audioi

Dont mean to hijack the thread but I have a 2007 Outback wgn with the factory remote starter installed. It has worked fine for almost 4 years but now when the car is started via the fob, and once the key is inserted and turned on the car still acts as if there is no key.
Only way past this problem is to shut the car off using the fob then restarting normally with the key.
Turning the car off with the key does nothing, any suggestions?
Audioi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models start

Check the link above under 2007 remote start and see anything different ... or the RS is in Valet / Service Mode, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
Dont mean to hijack the thread but I have a 2007 Outback wgn with the factory remote starter installed. It has worked fine for almost 4 years but now when the car is started via the fob, and once the key is inserted and turned on the car still acts as if there is no key.
Only way past this problem is to shut the car off using the fob then restarting normally with the key.
Turning the car off with the key does nothing, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: