2011 Battery Drained - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium CVT Ruby Red Pearl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 Battery Drained

Jumped into my 2-week old 2011 OB this morning and battery was drained. Didn't see any obvious issue with light left on, etc. Successfully started with a jump.

Did some investigation and it seems like something funny is going in with interior light. From what I can tell, if I do not lock the doors using the button on the key fob, the interior light does not go off. I'm thinking that I either forgot to lock the doors last night or I locked them using the button on the armrest before closing the door (a habit that I got into with my old car).

I'm 99.9% sure that all doors were fully closed.

Here's what I'm seeing:
  • Exit car and close door: interior light is ON, somewhat dimmed.
  • Lock car with button on key fob. Light fades out at that point.
  • Exit car and lock using button on armrest before closing door. Interior light remains ON, somewhat dimmed.
  • Push lock button on key fob (doors already locked). Light fades out at that point.
In the cases where the light remains on, I haven't waited more than a couple of minutes to see if it eventually goes off. But it definitely remains on after the door is closed, even if I have locked the doors at the armrest. The only sure way to make it go off is to push the lock button on the key fob.

Now of course I'm completely paranoid about this stupid light.

Can anyone confirm what is supposed to be happening here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM

My 2010 light stays on for a few seconds then kicks off- not sure if there is a programming part to it or if its a fixed timer of some sort. Warranty visit its new just drop by and have them fix it. My lowbeam relay crapped out they found the issue and fixed in about an hour on monday this week. Electrical bugs all tend to happen the first 2 yrs then its generally smooth sailing.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There should be an explanation in the Owners Manual about the lights going out after the doors are closed. Typically, the ceiling light should go out within less than a minute after all doors are closed, whether locked, or unlocked. (Assuming the ceiling light switch is set to "door" and not "on".)

If the light stays on when the door is closed but not locked, check if the "door open" warning light in the instrument panel is lit. (This might be a clue . . .)

Also, there's a "battery saver" timer (microprocessor controlled) that will turn off the ceiling light if the door is left open for an extended period. This too should be explained in the Manual.

If the car isn't doing what the Manual says it should, then take the car in asap. Repeated draining of the battery can shorten it's useful life.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
Is there a switch on the lights like the older models to set the light to constant on?(cant remember and too lazy to go check mine). If so, this could be the problem. Also check that the rear hatch is fully closed. The open door indicator will show a line at the rear of the picture. I know we have walked into th garage a couple hours after parking more than once to have to properly close the hatch. The big clue was walking into a dark garage to be greeted by the still on dome light.

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Lightbulb Battery Drained Overnight on 2011 Outback

My Outback was purchased in April 2011 and last week, mid Sept 2011, I went out to enter the car in the morning and the remote opener did not work and I discovered the battery was completely dead, I call Subaru Road Service and they jump started the car. Service operator said I probably left some lights on. After 2 days the same thing happened and the lights were definitely not left on. Subaru Road Service jump started it again so I took it to the dealer. After checking it out for almost a week they could not find a battery or electrical system problem. I am now driving it and I am worried the same thing may happen again. Any ideas, other than keeping jumper cables in the back? Why would this problem occur now after almost 5 months of having no electrical problems??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Battery Drain

See my issue under the name of Bruto.
In 3 weeks of driving, after it was in the shop without being fixed, it has not happened again. My your issue was the same as mine as I don't always lock the car at night.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Battery Drain

See my issue under the name of Bruto.
In 3 weeks of driving, after it was in the shop without being fixed, it has not happened again. My your issue was the same as mine as I don't always lock the car at night.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM

Car: '10 Outback, an F350 for big stuff
I saw this problem with an Impreza. The rear hatch was not fully shut and the dome light never turned off. Battery drained overnight.

If the rear hatch does not fully close easily on your OB, have the dealer adjust it. There was a service bulletin out concerning this adjustment.

Lou Braun
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Same Here

I also have an '11 Outback. I've had this same problem - battery unexpectedly drained, sometimes after only being out of the car for two hours or less. This has happened three times in the last four months. The second time it happened, the AAA driver put an ammeter on, and got a 2.4 amp draw with nothing on, but then after he jumped it it was fine for two weeks, whereupon it died again. As we speak the car is at the dealer and they can't find anything. They suggest I buy one of those battery packs so it can be started next time this happens. Any more reasonable suggestions greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Car: 07 OB 2.5i Basic 120,000+ Miles
I bought LED replacement lights for the interior overhead lights. Not only are they a lot brighter, but they do not drain the battery like the OEM ones did. I had inadvertently hit the cargo area a few times and didn't notice till later (usually camping, middle of nowhere, no one around for miles...). Dead battery with the jumper cables in the rear under floor spare tire area means a lot of shenanigans to get to them. No dead batteries since. I highly recommend them. Avbl at most auto parts stores. Don't get the ones from JCWhitney, I had to get them replaced pretty fast as they failed/burned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: