Subaru Outback Forums banner

new clutch goes to floor and stays

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CSFiend 
#1 ·
I finally got my 99 outback going with a 95 engine. the 99 engine blew right after a new clutch burned out, so I nevver got to make sure that new clutch actually worked. Here are the symptoms in chronilogical order of the issue----and what work has been done:---all after the new clutch.
1. clutch would not shift smoothly
2. when stopped or rounded a corner, sometimes was not able to shift into gear after down-shifting.
3. could not go into reverse with out engine off, otherwise would grind.
4. clutch went to the ground and would not lift up unless used hand
5. master cyliner was replaced and lines were bled
6. clutch still became stuck on the ground after down shifting or after stopping (went many miles while engine work was being tested without an issue (just like the first time)
7. then replaced all hydraulics hoping that would help
8. happened again after leaving a stop sign.... I think i got through 1st gear, but happened in the process of shifting into 2nd.
9. theory is that it is loosing vacume and pressure... unsure of source,though.
This was super dangerous. My mechanic is at a loss and the local Subaru dealer said they have done a few clutches and could "look at it." but they really had no idea.
Do you have any suggesstions? It has about 98,000 miles on this "new" 95 2.5L engine.
Thanks, I now want to fix it and maybe sell. I have had it for a year and a half and still it is not road worthy. myy Saturn Wagon of 130000 miles runs great... but must replace with something dependable.... anyone want to buy?

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
this is how to remember: you have the "little engine that does",...hopefully all the way to 400,000 miles.
...vs. the lump of dog crap that was under the hood.

#7 ·
Also, that grind into reverse is normal. My 2010 Toyota Corolla does it.

I talked to a Subaru Mechanic at the dealer about my 96 Subaru grinding into reverse and he told me to go 4th to reverse and I have been doing that ever since and I have never heard it grind.

I'd be interested to see what would take the clutch to the floor but it does sound like a bleeding issue to me.

#10 ·
Reverse is straight cut -- that's why it whines when you're backing up.

1st gear isn't straight cut, and I'm pretty certain it has a synchro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.