Subaru Outback Forums banner

Whoosh Whoosh

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ursina 
#1 ·
My wife's '04 OB sport started making a whoosh..whoosh..whoosh sound when taking a slower wide turns (sounds like it is coming from the back of the car). In the past week or so the whooshing is getting louder and sometimes will go on for a bit when going straight (the whooshing get faster with speed). It is louder on older roads (rougher) and quieter on new blacktop. Thought it may be the tires, they are about 5 years old, so I had the tires rotated today, and they are just as loud. Can they be the tires or may this be something more $cary. I had the rear diff fluid changed a year or so ago. It is an automatic, so I was thinking of pulling the AWD fuse to see if the sound still comes when the car is in fwd.

#2 ·
can you record it? post it to youtube and link it here?

or post it as a audio file (somewhere/somehow)

#4 ·
if you think it sounds at all like water sloshing: look in the spare tire well.

sometimes trunks or hatches leak,...other times the drain hoses from the sun roofs clog up or dislodge and water gets into the spare tire well. and as its muffled by the carpet may not exactly sound like water sloshing around.

no one checks the spare tire for the correct air pressure,...mine I actually have to pull it up out of the well to get to the valve stems. ....I can remember pulling the spare off the engine in 1980s subarus and creeping to the tire shop on a flat temp spare,...vs. ruining a good full size rim.

#6 ·
Perhaps a wheel bearing.

#7 ·
Whoosh whoosh is kinda vague. If it's a constant whoosh whoosh, it could be anything form water in the spare tire well, bad wheel bearing, bad tire, etc...
I'm with eagleeye on this. Take a video with sound and post it.

#8 ·
I still got a spare for a 1986 DL outside. (good for holding down tarps)

the tire guys were surprised I could roll on it for 3 miles at 10mph and not shred it. that same OEM spare tire is still holding air after 30 years. (left out in the sun for the last 15)

Edit: I should clarify. its pretty dry rotted,...still hard though. (maybe I should pump it up to the listed pressure on the side).

wheel bearing sounds good too. = lots of different weird noises.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.