Subaru Outback Forums banner

1996 Outback problems.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kennyb 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1996 Legacy outback and you name it it's went wrong, headgasket week 1, ignition ground week 1, tension wheel bolt broke week 2, starter motor week 3, now the fuel consumption is very poor 400km maybe per highway mileage per tank (45litres)? Anybody help on the fuel problem, be a great help

#2 ·
I split this off as it really had nothing to do with the thread you posted in.

Miles on car? Service history? When was the last time it got new spark plugs, wires, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, etc? Has the timing belt been replaced? Is your CEL on?

HG issues are fairly common on this era, if they are fixed right the repair should be good. Cut corners will be a repeat job.

#3 ·
265k on it.Plugs wires look new. Fuel filter no idea, PCV is what? Air filter new.Everytime you do a head gasket you should always do tbelt, so yeah.CEL? had 02 sensor 2 on cleaned it and was ok for 4days now back on so guess need sensor but dont just want to buy it when its not the problem. just looking for the forum to say best to do this 1st before i just hand a parts place or garage my wallet...thanks mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.